•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6SE any point in using wifi and GPS?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Styve100

Styve100

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Worksop England

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:18 AM

Hi all, I have a celestron 6SE, I ended up with various bits of kit, as, I had a faulty scope originally where the az counter kept resorting to zero. However, I have a celestron GPS and a celestron wifi dongle and star sense. I connect everything together with the dongle going in the spare port on the GPS, my question is, does the wifi using the app transfer position and time data to the HS so is it pointless me using the GPS?

#2 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:41 AM

I Plug my GPS module into the hand controller port, then plug the hand controller into the port on the GPS Module. That way it just works. 

Forget the Wifi module. If you are trying to use starsense, any wireless device you use wont be accurate. Starsense is amazing but it really only works accurately with the hand controller.

You dont even have to look at the time on  your hand controller or your location, if you see a tiny capital G at the right of the time and date, then GPS has taken over and everything should just work

...Ralph 

Edited by aa6ww, 30 March 2020 - 01:43 AM.

#3 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Soyuz

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 30 March 2020 - 01:47 AM

Ralph is correct. 

I have never found the SkyPortal/SkySafari Apps as accurate as Starsense HC. However, CPWI seems fine.

But if using Tablet/App the mount will take Time and Location from the tablet and not any GPS unit. If the tablet is connected to the Internet, it's Location Services will offer the same as GPS. You don't need Internet Location Services and GPS together. 

#4 gene

gene

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NY

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:52 AM

I Plug my GPS module into the hand controller port, then plug the hand controller into the port on the GPS Module. That way it just works.
Forget the Wifi module. If you are trying to use starsense, any wireless device you use wont be accurate. Starsense is amazing but it really only works accurately with the hand controller.

You dont even have to look at the time on your hand controller or your location, if you see a tiny capital G at the right of the time and date, then GPS has taken over and everything should just work

...Ralph

#5 gene

gene

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NY

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:09 AM

Thanx Ralph,
I think this is my first post to the forum, although I've been reading for years. For some reason, I could never get my Skysync to work on my Nexstar 6SE. But after connecting it as you suggest-it worked like a charm. I also own an older C8 of "Powerstar III" incarnation (with very decent optics), and an Astroscan I purchased in the early 80's as part of an Astronomy magazine subscription deal.

Thanx again,
gene_s

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics