•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Small right angle finder for TV-85

accessories equipment refractor
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:17 AM

I prefer a right angle finder for my scopes. So, I am looking for a small, lightweight right angle finder for my TV-85 refractor. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mark  p.s. I stress the word small. Thanks.

Edited by MarkGregory, 30 March 2020 - 03:18 AM.

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:40 AM

But a TV85 IS a small right angle finder.     Rim_Shot.gif

I couldn't resist, no offense intended. I think the TV85 is a great scope and really versatile. One look at M82 through one a few years ago convinced me immediately that I had to have a refractor.

• BravoFoxtrot, junomike, kevint1 and 2 others like this

#3 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:19 AM

I couldn't resist, no offense intended. I think the TV85 is a great scope and really versatile. One look at M82 through one a few years ago convinced me immediately that I had to have a refractor.

No offense taken. I will say, I am always amazed when I see a giant scope using a refractor as a finder. Makes me realize just how small some of our favorite scopes are. Your post actually made me laugh out loud. Nice way to start the day. Thanks , Mark

• havasman likes this

#4 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:22 AM

P.s. just noticed you were born in December, 1950. I was born in February, 1950. Can you believe we are 69 and 70 years old? Where did the all the  time go. LOL 

Edited by MarkGregory, 30 March 2020 - 06:37 AM.

• havasman likes this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:50 AM

Mark:

The only decent quality, small RACI finder scope I know of is the Orion 6x30.  

https://www.telescop...2160/p/7211.uts

Jon

• MarkGregory likes this

#6 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland bay shoreline

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:58 AM

Mark

I used the Celestron brand RACI with my TV85. Spent extra to swap from Celestron scope mount to ADM rings and had proper piece added to fit the 3” tube ring slot mount on TV85. Overall was quite happy. I also own a Baader 10x Vario-Finder setup (more $$) which is RACI but I have used in its guidescope configuration with camera as ‘electronic finder’. Photo was showing the Celestron RACI on TV85 when on ADM side-by-side with my Tak u180c on my old CGEM DX II mount.

Dave

u180c & TV85 on CGEM DX II

Edited by Travellingbears, 30 March 2020 - 06:08 AM.

• MarkGregory likes this

#7 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:38 AM

Mark:

The only decent quality, small RACI finder scope I know of is the Orion 6x30.  

https://www.telescop...2160/p/7211.uts

Jon

Thanks, l’ll check it out. 

#8 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:40 AM

Mark

I used the Celestron brand RACI with my TV85. Spent extra to swap from Celestron scope mount to ADM rings and had proper piece added to fit the 3” tube ring slot mount on TV85. Overall was quite happy. I also own a Baader 10x Vario-Finder setup (more $$) which is RACI but I have used in its guidescope configuration with camera as ‘electronic finder’. Photo was showing the Celestron RACI on TV85 when on ADM side-by-side with my Tak u180c on my old CGEM DX II mount.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I’ll give it a look. 

#9 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:22 AM

Some folks a while back had posted that the Orion 6x30 fits the Solomark laser bracket and then into the finder shoe that TV sells, possibly with a shim or longer screws.

Haven't tried it yet myself.

Dave

• MarkGregory likes this

#10 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:37 AM

Just thinking out loud over morning coffee......

Tele Vue TV-85 Apochromatic Doublet Refractor - 600mm, f/7.

I'll assume a 2-inch diagonal.....

Using a 24 mm Explore Scie 82 degree eyepiece you would get 25 x and a true field of 3.28 degrees.

Even better, a 41 panoptic --> 14.6x, 4.8º......

This telescope is its own finder....

Dave

• MarkGregory and havasman like this

#11 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:15 AM

Using a 24 mm Explore Scie 82 degree eyepiece you would get 25 x and a true field of 3.28 degrees.

Dave

Ya know, this is a great analysis. I can really save money and weight on the scope by just doing a little eyepiece swapping. I don’t have an 82 degree ocular because I usually spend time observing the Moon. Mostly with Tele Vue Delites.  However, I do want to expand my viewing to deeper sky objects. Having a wide field of view eyepiece could serve two purposes. I love the Panoptic line and the 24 is my favorite ocular. Therefore, this would give me a good excuse to add the 41mm. The money I save by not buying the finder scope can be applied to the 41. Thanks for your help. Mark

#12 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:23 AM

Some folks a while back had posted that the Orion 6x30 fits the Solomark laser bracket and then into the finder shoe that TV sells, possibly with a shim or longer screws.

Haven't tried it yet myself.

Dave

Thank you, appreciate your note.

#13 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:53 AM

P.s. just noticed you were born in December, 1950. I was born in February, 1950. Can you believe we are 69 and 70 years old? Where did the all the  time go. LOL 

Ah, yes and in our times it has been awfully easy to have a whole lot of fun. Fine times to have seen.

#14 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:58 PM

Dave

The problem with that is balance.  Changing from any of those eyepieces to something like the 3-6 Nagler zoom I pretty much am guaranteed on my Telepod of losing my target.  So I find a finder still extremely useful.  I have been using an Orion 6x30 RACI but with the tall Orion bracket for this.  My local skies aren’t good enough for the Starbeam to be all I need.

I did just order a laser bracket to see if it fits or alternaly if the Meade 5x24 ETX RA finder fits, mostly to use on my old Meade 2044 but will see how it does on the TV85 also.

Dave

• MarkGregory likes this

#15 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 04:36 PM

The problem with that is balance.  Changing from any of those eyepieces to something like the 3-6 Nagler zoom I pretty much am guaranteed on my Telepod of losing my target.  So I find a finder still extremely useful.  I have been using an Orion 6x30 RACI but with the tall Orion bracket for this.  My local skies aren’t good enough for the Starbeam to be all I need.

I did just order a laser bracket to see if it fits or alternaly if the Meade 5x24 ETX RA finder fits, mostly to use on my old Meade 2044 but will see how it does on the TV85 also.

Dave

Hi Dave,  For me balance should not be a problem. It’s just that I waffle back and forth between loading up my scope with accessories or keeping it simple and clean. Funny you should mention lasers. I just put one on my 85. However, my experience with lasers has not been exactly stellar. On a cold night they don’t work so good. Unreliable. You never have that problem with a good finder scope. I am attaching a photo of my 85 with the laser pointer attached. I got my bracket and rings from Tele Vue. Mark 

Attached Thumbnails

• 4E2F5DC8-30E0-429B-A959-56FBB5125648.jpeg

• Terra Nova likes this

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:18 PM

For me, the issue is not balance, the reason to have a RACI finder is keep from having to swap eyepieces.  If I'm working on a list of doubles, swapping the high power eyepiece for the low power wide field and the back again is just added hassle.

With an RACI, I can star hop with the finder and look at doubles with the high power eyepieces in the main scope.

Jon

• BravoFoxtrot and BFaucett like this

#17 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:51 PM

Cool, you already have the bracket.  If you remove the laser and get some shorter screws that should fit the Orion 6x30 RACI which will let you find things easily.

I don’t use or like lasers either, but it is the only bracket for a 30mm that doesn’t stick up ridiculously high.

Dave

Hi Dave,  For me balance should not be a problem. It’s just that I waffle back and forth between loading up my scope with accessories or keeping it simple and clean. Funny you should mention lasers. I just put one on my 85. However, my experience with lasers has not been exactly stellar. On a cold night they don’t work so good. Unreliable. You never have that problem with a good finder scope. I am attaching a photo of my 85 with the laser pointer attached. I got my bracket and rings from Tele Vue. Mark 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics