•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Get high resolution project

astrophotography imaging
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Astrofriend

Astrofriend

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:42 PM

Hi,
I have struggled with the Drizzle technique many years but had always problem to see any difference when taking images with my teleskop, shorter focal lenses has worked good. Now with faster computer, Windows10 64-bit and new updated software it works as I expected it from the beginning. The idea came already when I took my first digital astrophoto, the comet Hyakutake 1996. I read about NASA and how they use Drizzling on Hubble images to increase the undersampled images from it.

I have documented my workflow here and a first test with the Globular Cluster M13 as a test object.

http://www.astrofrie...troduction.html

My astrophotos with the telescope are taken from the balcony and never of very high quality, but this time it worked.

/Lars

• icee_stars and 2ghouls like this

#2 Astrofriend

Astrofriend

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:39 PM

Hi,

I have written down the details of my workflow. Most about DSS and how it's setup.

http://www.astrofrie...troduction.html

But if I can find a multiplatform software that do Drizzling I maybe replace DSS with that. Now I'm trying the Astap software, but it crashes for me.

/Lars

#3 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:33 AM

Hi Lars,
PixInsight is multi platform (built on Linux, ported Mac/windows), and has a very good implementation of the drizzle algorithm. It’s paid software (lifetime license); not sure if you were looking for free software only.
Clear skies,
Nico

P.s. I found your articles on comet photography very useful!

#4 Astrofriend

Astrofriend

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:37 AM

Hi Nico,

I prefer if it's an open sourche or a free to use version. PixInsight is very powerful but I haven't used it yet.

Thanks for the coments about my tutorial about comets. I have just finished some information about comet C/2019 Y4 Atlas, maybe you will try to take photos of it ?

I placed the information on the main page: www.astrofriend.eu/

When I took the photos of the comet Hyakutake which was very brigth I had a 50 mm lens at f/1.8. But the sensor was very small with todays standard. With a full frame camera a 80 to 100 mm lens had been more suited. We have to follow the comet data and how big the tail will be so we are prepared with correct equipment.

Good luck !

/Lars

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics