•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone use a pan/tilt mount with tripod for NV

NV
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Central Valley, Ca

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:23 PM

I like using DSLR lenses with the MOD3C, but as you know you can only keep your arms up for so long... got me thinking about a pan/tilt mount with a tripod to mount the NVD on, you could stand or sit depending upon how tall your tripod is... anyone using this setup for NV?

51qGBbmP99L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by Peregrinatum, 30 March 2020 - 05:27 PM.

#2 Mazerski

Mazerski

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:38 PM

I think a CN guy with name VonDragon used something like this but he has not been around for a time and don’t know why - he contributed to NV quite a bit. I wrote him a couple months ago but no reply.

#3 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:57 PM

That should work fine.

Binocular users face the same issues we do, and any solution they employ is fair game. (Well, Image Stabilization may be difficult for NV users to implement.)

Really depends upon your preferences. Think about how you would use big binoculars.

For me, using a pan head on a tripod will be hard on the neck without a right-angle solution. But it could be a great solution for you wink.gif

#4 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:27 PM

This looks better, Orion Parallelogram mount:

61nAUvFcmSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

#5 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:48 AM

Yep. That is a dream mount.  drool5.gif

I wish I could. But there is that specter of a frying pan approaching my head at an alarming speed.

Still, Waiting for an image to build, staring dreamy eyed into the night skies.....

Killing two birds with one stone.  wink.gif

#6 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:51 AM

I like using DSLR lenses with the MOD3C, but as you know you can only keep your arms up for so long... got me thinking about a pan/tilt mount with a tripod to mount the NVD on, you could stand or sit depending upon how tall your tripod is... anyone using this setup for NV?

51qGBbmP99L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I've used one of those for a lot of things. From spotting scopes, to my DSLR and lenses.

Great way to get hopelessly hooked on the night skies.

I did.

#7 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:23 AM

I began with a Manfrotto Magic Arm attached to a zero gravity chair. I would not recommend it at all, since the product is made to hold a lens steady in a fixed position, and we generally require movement across the sky.

Next was a P-gram mount. An improvement over the Magic Arm, but still more futzing than I wanted to do. Having extra degrees of freedom in a mount can be a blessing and a curse.

I ended up building a mini-dob mount with the lens looking down to a fixed flat. The journey started with a moving mirror, but the size requirements were prohibitive for good sky coverage. Also, did not like the performance of float glass with changing temperatures, or my largest lens (a 300mm delivering 11x). So I switched to the 45 degree fixed flat and the mount is based on the old Richard Berry design. Very simple.

The fixed mirror design took a few iterations, but I am happy with the end results. Extremely ergonomic and easy to use. Built from scrap Baltic Birch laying around the shop. Main expenses were the DSC kit and of course the 8" flat, which I got for $300. It is scratched and it was a little upsetting to see when I received the mirror, but it does not matter for low magnification. If you go with this approach, I highly recommend the DSC's since the view is mirror-reversed and angled at 90 degrees. The alternative would be a red/green laser pointer combo (which would allow for filter use on the NVD).

IMG_3480.jpeg
IMG_3043.jpg
IMG_3129.jpg

• Peregrinatum likes this

#8 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:21 PM

Jeff, your NVD mount is incredible and so clever... unfortunately it is beyond my crude construction skills, I could probably cobble one together but its' longer term viability would be in question Lol  my money would be better spent on an existing manufactured solution.

I did quite a bit of research on this and I am going to give the Farpoint Parallelogram mount a try, using a surveying tripod, I like to stand while viewing (as with a dob) and I think this will suite me well.  It's portable and should support up to 10# very well.

I got my eye on your Canon 300mm F2.8, see them on ebay and I plan to eventually add one to the inventory... so with this mount I will use the Envis 1x, the 85mm F1.8 at 3.3x, the 180mm 2.8 at 6.7x, and eventually the 300mm F2.8 at 11.1x ~ this gives me a very good setup for NVD widefield viewing.  When I got into NV I didn't realize how much I would enjoy widefield viewing, but it has turned out to be the primary method for enjoying image intensified observing.  Before NV star clusters were blah and yawn in my LP skies, now they are nothing short of spectacular...

something like this:

post-278174-0-59285000-1528562914.jpg

Edited by Peregrinatum, 31 March 2020 - 04:06 PM.

#9 elrod

elrod

Sputnik

• Loc: Florida west coast

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:49 PM

I use a Neewer photo tripod with a fluid head for my NV spotting scope set up.  The tripod was originally for a set of Celestron 20 x 80 binoculars that I have.  Haven't used the binoculars much since (1) Tele Vue Binoviewer  and then (2) the PVS-14.

Great tripod for $100 on Amazon, my binoculars weigh 6lbs.

I now use the tripod with a Celestron Trailseeker 80mm spotting scope as a grab and go NV setup. The spotting  scope is supplied with a removable 1.25" 20-60 x zoom and a T2 thread under the eye cup.

I have also used a 32mm plossl and held the nv up to the eyepiece.  This setup provides a 15x.

The spotting scope gives good sharp bright views at 15x-20x. Also has a red dot mounted to the adjustment arm using small photo clamps. Haven't taken a picture of the red dot mount yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20191231_000310658_HDR-1600x1200.jpg

• Peregrinatum likes this

#10 GrahamDFyffe

GrahamDFyffe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Arizona

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:00 PM

I have used many fluid heads for my big binoculars viewing and they work great. I even have my F4 8" Newt on one. I have 45° prisms on my 100 mm binoculars sitting on a Manfrotto N12 fluid head on a Manfrotto 475b tripod. 

#11 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:18 PM

I have used many fluid heads for my big binoculars viewing and they work great. I even have my F4 8" Newt on one. I have 45° prisms on my 100 mm binoculars sitting on a Manfrotto N12 fluid head on a Manfrotto 475b tripod.

That's a fantastic setup. One of mine is a Manfrotto/Bogen 516 head on a 117B tripod. Here's the real kicker though, I didn't know much about it until I got it, all I knew was that Manfrotto is generally good stuff. I was looking around for something on eBay late one night and there it was, the head and the tripod for $133, delivered. With as fast as I could do a little research on it I ordered it. It works as well or better than anything I could have imagined for my APM 100s. It will hold a lot and is very easy to work with.

#12 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:32 PM

I use a Neewer photo tripod with a fluid head for my NV spotting scope set up.  The tripod was originally for a set of Celestron 20 x 80 binoculars that I have.  Haven't used the binoculars much since (1) Tele Vue Binoviewer  and then (2) the PVS-14.

Great tripod for $100 on Amazon, my binoculars weigh 6lbs.

I now use the tripod with a Celestron Trailseeker 80mm spotting scope as a grab and go NV setup. The spotting  scope is supplied with a removable 1.25" 20-60 x zoom and a T2 thread under the eye cup.

I have also used a 32mm plossl and held the nv up to the eyepiece.  This setup provides a 15x.

The spotting scope gives good sharp bright views at 15x-20x. Also has a red dot mounted to the adjustment arm using small photo clamps. Haven't taken a picture of the red dot mount yet.

Nice looking setup, Ray!  I was close to giving the tilt/pan/tripod a go but I wasn't sure how it would work for me near the meridian.

#13 GrahamDFyffe

GrahamDFyffe

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:24 PM

Nice looking setup, Ray!  I was close to giving the tilt/pan/tripod a go but I wasn't sure how it would work for me near the meridian.

can't comment yet, my intensifier arrives Thursday. What I will say is that a center column riser is essential for my 45 degree binoculars setup. With my Newt the level of the eyepiece doesn't vary all that much on my fluid head, a good viewing chair is all that is needed from horizon to zenith. Straight through viewing at zenith would be a contortionist exercise at zenith with a fluid head.

#14 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:22 AM

can't comment yet, my intensifier arrives Thursday. What I will say is that a center column riser is essential for my 45 degree binoculars setup. With my Newt the level of the eyepiece doesn't vary all that much on my fluid head, a good viewing chair is all that is needed from horizon to zenith. Straight through viewing at zenith would be a contortionist exercise at zenith with a fluid head.

Congrats on your coming NVD arrival, I hope you enjoy it... I think you will see that there are several different ways to use NV, thus many ways to mount it depending upon your preferences... I didn't expect that I would like using the MOD3C with the DSLR lenses as much as I do, it's really spectacular to pan the sky at 3x or 6x and see so many objects.

• outofsight likes this

#15 GrahamDFyffe

GrahamDFyffe

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:56 AM

Congrats on your coming NVD arrival, I hope you enjoy it... I think you will see that there are several different ways to use NV, thus many ways to mount it depending upon your preferences... I didn't expect that I would like using the MOD3C with the DSLR lenses as much as I do, it's really spectacular to pan the sky at 3x or 6x and see so many objects.

Thanks I am very excited to get it (many thanks to the members of this forum who helped me navigate this complex topic, especially Mike Mazerski). 

also thanks to this forum I already have a bunch of stuff ready to go when the NVD arrives.

Scope Stuff C 1.25 and 2 inch adaptors 

50mm CD finder scope (should provide that 6x view!)

Scope Stuff C to T, 1.25 Filter Adaptor for T threads

F to T thread adapter for Nikon lens (On its way from China)

640 IR pass filter 

10mm H Alpha Filter

60mm Apertura doublet APO (mounted on a pan and tilt head to stay relevant to this post!)

Baader T2 BBHS prism diagonal

This is what self isolation does - I spend all my time on these forums finding new toys to buy!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics