•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has a cat perch chair enhanced your viewing experiences?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:30 PM

Being a refractor kinda guy I tend to bend hovering over the eyepiece. As I age I'm wobbling a bit. That, and my back complains sooner than it used to. I sometimes take out a chair but then I'm adjusting tripod legs as I move about the sky. And then there is my sweet cat. Every time I'm not on the chair she takes it. Sometimes a viewing companion is worth the loss of a little real estate, right?

Any experiences, positive or negative reports about the cat perch  would be appreciated. 

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:39 PM

I have both a Dob and refractor, and use this for sitting in front of both:

https://www.vestil.c...uct.php?FID=346

Absolutely love it.  I have no experience with the cat perch, but any way of getting off your feet will help.

• cuzimthedad and Steve Cox like this

#3 tjschultz2011

tjschultz2011

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eldorado, WI

Posted 30 March 2020 - 05:39 PM

I just got the Cats perch Summit model recently and I like it a lot. A little difficult climbing up in it when it's near its top height but still very comfy once you're up there. Makes it easy to view comfortably from nearly any position

• havasman likes this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:05 PM

I have a Catsperch Pro chair plus two Starbound chairs.  

The Catsperch chair is solid and stable, it's comfortable and it allows me to sit comfortably viewing the zenith with my 16 inch F/4.4.  

But, I very much prefer the Starbound chairs because they are so easy to adjust.  I'll adjust the seat height just to look through the finder and then adjust it again to look through the scope.  The Catsperch is not so easily adjusted and often requires me to stand up and move the seat, guessing where I want it, adjusting it and then sitting back down.  With the Starbound, I do it all while seated and it literally only takes seconds.

With the 16 inch, the only scope I have that benefits from the Catsperch, I will use a Starbound chair and if I decide I want to view seated near the zenith, I'll use the Catsperch but mostly I just stand.  

6149295-Dobstuff with Catsperch.jpeg

Jon

• Cames and Exnihilo like this

#5 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:10 PM

I have the Vestil style chair and would recommend it for the same reasons Jon likes his Starbound - easy to adjust and move around.  I think that unless your refractors are very large, these chairs would work just fine...

For my 14" Dobsonian, I use a couple cinder blocks to raise the chair up a bit to reach the eyepiece - still pretty easy to move around...

#6 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:02 AM

Where is the Cat? The Cat is the most important aspect of this thread! What's the point of having a "Cat Perch" if there is no "Cat"? In a pinch, you could put in a SCT (Catadioptric) untill you can locate an appropriate real live "kitty" to adopt and use to annex the perch and claim ownership of the Cat Perch. I'm still working on getting my pics to fit the format demanded by the ''format minions of orthadoxy" which occupy a position behind the curtains...reveal yourselves demon format minions, reveal yourselves I say!!

But...I digress and digest. The point I'm trying to make is that I saw No Kitty Cats in your pics. As soon as I can find away around the CN Format Minion, I will send in pics till there's no tomorrow. My living room is currently "infested" with Cats, two live ones that meow, purr and sleep (boy do they love to sleep) and a Celestron Cat. My Cat! My C5+ Cat. And they are real! They exist! And all shall be revealed at the appointed time!

What can I saw, I love Cats. Both optical and the meowing kind. Thank-you!

Long Live Cats!

Clear skies and prosper!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#7 HolinOL

HolinOL

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Germany 53° North

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:31 AM

In my most sessions, I turn the seat 180 degrees. Sit on it like on a horsesaddle, lean myself forward and rest my chest/ body against the backrest. Feel very comfortable so.

clear skies, Holger

#8 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:49 AM

Yes it has.  And my modification has enhanced my comfort level.   I had an old Drummer's throne around so with a couple of drilled holes and some elbow grease I have the most supremely comfortable chair!!

IMG_8187.jpg IMG_8188.jpg

One peculiarity for me with the cat's perch chair.  I'm 6'6" tall and weigh 250.  Me body and long legs placed the centre of gravity of the system too far forward and the chair would tip forward...  My solution was to cut about 4 inches off the back leg.  Perfect now!!

Dave

• niteskystargazer, clearwaterdave, sunnyday and 1 other like this

#9 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:52 AM

Still NO Cats! Give me cats!

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#10 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:34 AM

Thank you for the input. I'm looking into the recommended chairs here. Probably wise no matter which chair I choose, that I get two LOL

For the TigerMan...

Attached Thumbnails

• P6160617.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, payner, Esso2112 and 1 other like this

#11 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:09 PM

Speedy Bed W

No cats here.

#12 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:37 PM

I use my Catsperch chair all the time with 16" f4.49 Dob as well as alt/az mounted short focal ratio refractors and highly recommend them. It's a Pro model that I modified to the center brace configuration of a Summit model to avoid having to deal with the interfering brace that came on it. I spoke with them and they gave me some tips on how to get it right.

Now I mostly use my other, smaller adjustable observing chair as a step-up to get into the Catsperch when the seat is up high. I find the Catsperch stable to the top level.

If you have clamps, glue, finish and basic tools like a screwdriver, consider the kit. It's the most perfectly configured kit ever.

#13 kevint1

kevint1

Viking 1

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:13 PM

I don’t have a cats perch chair, but I do have a Stardust, which is very similar, if not identical to the Vestal chair. I use it all the time with my refractors and am very happy with it. I think any sturdy, well built chair will enhance your viewing. I’m a lot more comfortable and relaxed sitting down and can view for a lot longer than when standing. I have friends who pretty much refuse to sit down when viewing. They insist on standing bent over. These types of chairs work well with kids too. Turn the chair around, have them kneel on the seat and hold onto the back of the chair, instead of the scope. 

• brentknight likes this

#14 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:15 AM

IMO, any adjustable chair would be a great improvement over standing while viewing.

I've been using a Starbound chair since the mid-90s and can't imagine viewing without the comfort and stability of a chair.

Rich

• Jon Isaacs, payner, havasman and 1 other like this

#15 Spikey131

Spikey131

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:03 PM

For visual telescopic astronomy, you need a telescope, an eyepiece and a chair.  The chair comes before a second eyepiece.

• Jon Isaacs, noisejammer and havasman like this

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:17 PM

IMO, any adjustable chair would be a great improvement over standing while viewing.

I've been using a Starbound chair since the mid-90s and can't imagine viewing without the comfort and stability of a chair.

Rich

:waytogo:

I have a good pile of astronomy equipment/junk.  Of all my stuff, the only thing I use every night is my Starbound chair.  I'd sooner part with my favorite eyepiece than the Starbound chair.  I actually have two starbounds, one in the city for my backyard stuff and one in the high desert..

Jon

• havasman and StarWolf57 like this

#17 wavelandscott

wavelandscott

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ridgefield, Connecticut, USA

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:30 AM

For visual telescopic astronomy, you need a telescope, an eyepiece and a chair.  The chair comes before a second eyepiece.

This is some of the best visual astronomy advice that you can get.  Agree 100%

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#18 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:27 AM

I agree a good chair is key to comfy observing.,imho.,a perch is for cat's.,a chair is for me.,lol.

Here is my perch hack.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180817_140754.jpg.jpg

• brentknight likes this

#19 astrohamp

astrohamp

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:29 PM

I made a "cat perch" from white oak, stable, heavy,bulky, not too field portable.
At zenith viewing with my refractor I use one of these and the cup...ahh...eyepiece holder holes work when pockets are unavailable.

For outreach and mid level viewing this does the trick with kids.  Gives them hand hold and can look over or through it.  Reversed works as a sit stool for those of us less hippie types.

Standing views most often give me the wobbles so I bring in an adjustable (crank up head) camera tripod to rest my chin on hand.  Good at outreach as well buffering the eyepiece and stabilizing the anxious, distracted, and fiddly.

#20 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:05 PM

I have a Berlebach NIX II & footrest. Also a Sky-Watching anti-tip observing chair. The latter I bought second, as its more comfortable. My cat thinks so too. The S-W has a larger more padded seat, something Berlebach skimped on. Being wood I will be upgrading that in due course, maybe with a heated function for cold nights.

I like the S-W chair, it has made viewing more enjoyable.

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 11 April 2020 - 05:37 AM

The Skywatcher Anti-tip chair appears to be a direct copy/rip off of the Starbound chair with a slight modification. As far as I can see, they missed out on making the chair white so it is visible in the dark. 

https://www.altairas...hair-2609-p.asp

https://www.highpoin...ir-sb-white-1-2

Jon

#22 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Rural Kent, UK

Posted 11 April 2020 - 05:50 AM

The Skywatcher Anti-tip chair appears to be a direct copy/rip off of the Starbound chair with a slight modification. As far as I can see, they missed out on making the chair white so it is visible in the dark. 

https://www.altairas...hair-2609-p.asp

https://www.highpoin...ir-sb-white-1-2

Jon

I have the Skywatcher, and yes it's black.  I just put a white plastic bag over the seat.

One big advantage compared with any non-astro chairs is the very wide range of adjustment.  In particular it goes down very low.

I wouldn't be without it as, not only is it comfortable but I can also do longer sessions.  Most of all though, I find I can actually see more when using it, especially threshold objects.

• havasman and 25585 like this

#23 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:58 AM

I have the Skywatcher, and yes it's black.  I just put a white plastic bag over the seat.

One big advantage compared with any non-astro chairs is the very wide range of adjustment.  In particular it goes down very low.

I wouldn't be without it as, not only is it comfortable but I can also do longer sessions.  Most of all though, I find I can actually see more when using it, especially threshold objects.

It is a copy of the Starbound which is the original astronomy chair so it's no surprise that its effective..

I have 2 Starbounds, one is 20 years old..

5973583-Monument valley 3.JPG

Jon

• MJB likes this

#24 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 11 April 2020 - 10:18 AM

Mine has red reflective tape on it. IMO the front anti-tip is a plus, much better suited to a soft surface like a garden lawn, for example.

#25 strdst

strdst

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2020 - 01:10 AM

Jon, Is your dark sky site on Mars?

• Jon Isaacs and noisejammer like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics