•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has a cat perch chair enhanced your viewing experiences?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 14 April 2020 - 02:08 AM

Jon, Is your dark sky site on Mars?

I was wondering why he has two chairs?

Although mine has a crack in it, I only have one bottom.

My chair is a patio chair, and it sets in front of a computer.

A USB cable does all the bending. wink.gif lol.gif

#27 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:16 AM

Mine has red reflective tape on it. IMO the front anti-tip is a plus, much better suited to a soft surface like a garden lawn, for example.

I have had a Starbound chair for 20 years.  I have used it for thousands of nights.  I have never had a problem with tipping.  There are possible problems with  the Starbound but tipping is not one of them.  I have never even heard of it. 

It only takes one widely separated set of legs to keep it from tipping.  If you look at the Starbound, you will see that there is a flat gusset that spans the 4 tubes at the bottom that is about 1.5 inches from the bottom.  In soft soil, that sinks in stops it from going in further.  

In the last week, we have had 5 inches of rain.  The backyard is mighty wet, very soft. the grass/weeds are several inches high. I weigh 230 pounds. I was out for 3 hours, no problems...

The problem with the wide front legs is that they can prevent me from positioning the chair where I want it.  Here's a photo of the Starbound alongsize my 12.5 inch.  If the front legs were wider, they would hit the scope.

6257799-12.5 inch Dob at 45 deg sitting on the Starbound.jpg

I imagine the reason they made the front legs wide like that was so they weren't making an exact copy of the Starbound.  Everything else looks identical but they used wide rear both front and back.  

Jon

#28 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:26 AM

I was wondering why he has two chairs?

We have two houses, one in the city and a smaller house out in the high desert where I do most of my dark sky stuff.  I have Starbound chair at each place so I don't have to drag it back and forth.  I also have two Dobs in the city, three in the country so I don't have to haul them back and forth.   Normally the Dobs in the country remain assembled so to set them up, I just have to pull off the cover, attach the wheel barrow handles and wheel them out.  

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics