•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Seagull Nebula from Bortle 7/8 skies

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AKHalea

AKHalea

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:01 PM

During this time of the recent worldwide pandemic, I find that AP is a great distraction when the weather allows us to do AP. I had tried to capture the Seagull nebula from my high LP backyard with typical SqM readings of ~17.8-18.0. So, I had a lot of difficulty to get much of the nebulosity to show up when I tried it the last few times. However, this time, with the help of the dual band filter, better processing software and know-how, I was able to bring out the Seagull nebula to its full glory.

The Seagull nebula is a 100-light years wide star nursery on the border of Monoceros and Canis Major constellations. It lies ~3800 light years from us and it has many interesting DSOs. They include the half circular nebulosity of the Seagull's wings (Sh2-296), the head of the Seagull (Sh2-292) and a few open star clusters of young stars. There is also another Sharpless catalog object, Sh2-297, on the right wing of the Seagull, that is not in our FOV. So, here is the image we managed to get : 

3-23 Seagull HaO3Combo NoL-3Ha-4OIII STCr1HubJ1CN.jpg

Capture details : 

OTA : Stellarvue Access 80mm scope with a 0.8x focal reducer and a dual NB filter (from Omega Optical),

Imaging camera : H-Alpha modded Nikon D5300,

ISO 1600 at f5.6 and a total integration time of 140 minutes (70x2minutes) - all unguided,

Registered & Integrated in APP (Astro Pixel processor), APP was also used for LP removal and star color calibration and then post processed in Star Tools to bring out the nebulosity. 

A higher resolution image can be see in the following link : 

https://www.flickr.c...57712379015033/

In the same Flickr album, I have also included an almost starless version that highlights the nebulosity. 

Thanks for looking. Stay safe & clear skies ..... Anil

Edited by AKHalea, 30 March 2020 - 06:03 PM.

• 42itous1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics