•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Counter weights keep sliding

equipment mount
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:43 PM

Ok, a bit of an issue with the EQ 6 R pro I didn't really notice until recently, my counter weights seem to have problem staying where I put them, I've had one slide down onto the one under it, I can't seem to make them tight enough and almost to the point I think the screw tip might break of I tighten much more...

Is this another simple issue I'm missing? Do I need to turn the bushing inside the counter weights where the screw does NOT go through the hole but rather push up against the bushing?

I can see where one or both decide to slip during a slew and just cause a bit of an issue.

#2 TrustyChords

TrustyChords

Vostok 1

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. First, make sure the counterweight shaft is nice and free of any grease or moisture.

Also I crank these weights down really fairly hard. I'm not sure if I'm over doing it, but they stick for me. Sometimes I'll even tighten with two hands once it is already fairly tight. The weight on the bottom I put more attention to, since mine are stacked together.

Another thing, which may be superstition on my part, but I've found they hold better if you put the weights on so that the screw part is more toward the top, vertically speaking.

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 30 March 2020 - 08:27 PM

That's a catastrophe just waiting to happen! At least it's just a little scope. Fix it right away. It's prudent/essential to provide two entirely independent means to hold your counterweights (each and every one) where intended. My scopes are big and my counterweights are heavy (100 pounds each not uncommon)... so I get nervous about such blunders.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 94 balancing a German Equatorial.jpg

• Exnihilo, Epox75 and TrustyChords like this

#4 greenstars3

greenstars3

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wind River valley

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:30 PM

Get some o-rings and place them under the weights to prevent their movement.

Will not degrade function nor value or cause any harm.

Robert

edit: Tom, nice scope 

Edited by greenstars3, 30 March 2020 - 09:33 PM.

• Tom3 likes this

#5 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:28 AM

The screw should go through the hole in that plastic spacer. I tighten mine by hand as tight as I can. I use 3-12lb weights and they stay in place. I wouldn’t worry about breaking that very large bolt as long as you tighten by hand and fight the urge to reach for your vise-grips!
  • MikeECha likes this

#6 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:47 AM

.....Do I need to turn the bushing inside the counter weights where the screw does NOT go through the hole but rather push up against the bushing?.....

I am not familiar with the EQ6R's counterweights, but you mention a bushing. By bushing do you mean compression ring? Is the design like the female end of a diagonal, where the set screw acts on a compression ring instead of the set screw pushing directly on the eyepiece? 

If that's the case, most certainly have the screw push against the bushing. 

Can you post a picture of the center bore of one of your counterweights?

#7 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:05 AM

wxcloud,

It's perhaps OCD on my part, but I keep my counter weights close together, so they are touching.  I started that years ago so dew didn't collect on every counter weight surface, and I've been doing it ever since.  I've had the same problem from time to time when it gets cold at night.  I figured the counter weight shaft was contracting enough to make the weight's bolts loose.  So I started, on cold nights, tightening the counter weight bolts an hour or so after I initially set up.

I like greenstar3's suggestion about an o-ring, I was going to suggest a hose clamp, but that may be a hassle if you have to put your mount up and take it down every night.

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:03 AM

Get a wrench if you're having trouble tightening them by hand.  It won't take a ton of effort.

Chris

Edited by Raginar, 31 March 2020 - 10:03 AM.

#9 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:34 PM

Make sure that the point that presses on the bar is also clean.  Something else you can do is use some sandpaper to wrophen the surface around the circumference of the bar (i.e., not in the direction of the bar length) so that the knob point has something to grip on.  

#10 wxcloud

wxcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:06 PM

Thanks all, will keep looking into things, may resort to using bread ties and toothpicks as shims for now. Or maybe a rubber band at the end of the stack.

I think the tip of the screw has a nylon finish.

#11 MikeECha

MikeECha

Mariner 2

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:29 AM

Thanks all, will keep looking into things, may resort to using bread ties and toothpicks as shims for now. Or maybe a rubber band at the end of the stack.

I think the tip of the screw has a nylon finish.

As AhBok said on post 5. If the screws does not press against the bar directly, the cw will slide. That happened to me. Make sure the scres goes thru the hole on the bushing. Otherwise it will not hold the cw in place.

• AhBok likes this

#12 wxcloud

wxcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:58 PM

Haven't had much of a chance to try solutions for the sliding counterweights as I haven't gotten out much.

Last outing, I did crank down on the screws and that didn't really work, actually almost got my fingers into a counterweight sandwich :o

I did have a couple other ideas, one was to just take out the plastic bushings all together and maybe the friction of the paint will keep it in place as well as a slight angle. Not sure this will help. The other idea is to get either masking tape or gaffers tape and make a couple thin layers for the end of the thumbscrews to indent or bite into to keep things more in place. Would also serve as reference for ball park setting up.

I don't think this would leave a residue but if so, shouldn't be too much of a issue to clean up.

#13 Epox75

Epox75

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Geleen - Netherlands

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:21 PM

You could scratch a bit the bar surface where you lock the counterweight, it's going to happen anyway. I am saying that because now that my bar is 8 years old and the counterweight grips way better on the part I use more, scratched, than other parts of the bar, unscratched. Maybe the sandpaper still could make it too even or scratch away more than you need, I would use the point of a nail or a knife

#14 Gazpacho

Gazpacho

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: It's Vegas, Baby!

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:08 AM

Get 2 part shaft collars. I keep a set with my Orion Sirius Pro. Once I get the weights where I want them, a shaft collar goes on above and below each weight. I don't trust the weight screw to hold more than 5 minutes. The shaft collars will hold forever. Also called a 2 piece clamp collar.

The following link is just for illustrative purposes.

https://www.zoro.com...ASABEgKeXvD_BwE

#15 wxcloud

wxcloud

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:50 AM

A quick update, set up a bit light last night so only used one weight, I removed the plastic bushing out of it and it seemed to have held better or at least had a firmer bite. Took a bit more force to actually make the weight move once it was screwed down.

Will keep tinkering with things.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics