•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DIY 3D Printed Prime Focus Adapters for Nikon Z-Mount and FTZ Adapter

accessories astrophotography DIY 3d printing
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dave.auld

dave.auld

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: UK, Cyprus, Qatar

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:02 AM

Hi All,

I am new to all this, and as you can imagine, with the plethora of adapters, screw threads, focal planes etc etc. I didn't buy everything on day 1 and will take time to get all the different bits I need.

However, I do have a couple of 3D Printers and managed to make a few adapters I needed (in addition to the handheld holders over on this thread)

The first thing I made was a Nikon FTZ adapter (F-Mount to Z-Mount) as I couldn't get a Nikon Wide T-Ring at the time, but could only get a standard T-Ring), you can read more and get the links to the Tinkercad models I made public over on my blog at: COBBLING TOGETHER A NIKON FTZ ADAPTER FROM OTHER 3D MODELS . You can see it in the image below attached between the Nikon Z50 camera and a Variable Eyepiece.

IMG_20200312_145334.jpg

The 2nd set of adapters I made was to do Prime Focus. and it turned out to work very well! I first made a 2" Prime Focus adapter, and it worked very well. Then I made a range of 1.25" nose length to fit inside the available depths of my 2x 3x and 5x Barlows. I haven't tried them, as being trying out some other things and software etc, but on the list to do. Again, you can read more over at my blog and get links to the Tinkercad models which are public. PRIME FOCUS - WHAT'S THAT ALL ABOUT? MAKING THE ADAPTERS.

IMG_20200326_115806.jpg

I put the red dots on all the rings using my daughters nail polish, so I could get the lock alignment correct when inserting into the camera.

Anyway, maybe someone will find them of use, or can use the base models to cobble up some other adapters etc.

Cheers, Clear Skies!

Dave

• BoriSpider likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, DIY, 3d printing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics