•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Mars 31 March

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:05 AM

Finally got a break in the weather, and so I headed out early to try and capture the GRS transiting across Jupiter. I took around 10 videos and it was only the last few that showed any promise. Either the OTA had not cooled down enough after being under the wet BBQ cover all night, or being out of focus, or the dew forming on the corrector plate which needed the portable heater to remove or just because Jupiter was rising in elevation as the morning progressed, I only ended up getting a couple of half decent shots of the GRS with the shadow of Callisto crossing the planet. 

In between Jupiter images I took some of Mars and Saturn (even a small rainbow that might be Mercury) but Saturn came out badly and Mars has some weird artifact which probably isn't real. Mercury is of course too small to see anything, but I have hopes for these other planets tomorrow morning.

Anyway, these are the best of a bad lot, Jupiter at captured size, Mars 200% captured size, Mercury 150% captured size.

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-03-30-1953_9-L-Jup_AS_P25_l6_ap130_Driz30 Jupmoonshadow R6WB levels20-0p9-230 sat+10 sharp100-5p0 ps1vsm.png
  • 2020-03-30-2002_7-L-Mars_AS_P33_l6_ap21_Driz30 MarsFC-A level30 sat+10 sharp 100-5p0 ps1sm.png
  • 2020-03-30-2013_6-L-Mercury_AS_P33_l6_ap22_Driz30 MarsFC-A ps1sm.png

Edited by Tulloch, 31 March 2020 - 07:06 AM.

• Sunspot, Kenny V., Thomas Ashcraft and 21 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:08 AM

these images are really pretty exceptional and the details are very clear.
well done and thank you.

• Tulloch likes this

#3 DMach

DMach

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:30 AM

Not too shabby! It's hard work this early in the "season", lots of frames end up in the bin ...

Which OTA are you using the days again? You got a new one from memory?
  • Tulloch likes this

#4 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:55 AM

All three (and especially Jupiter and Mars) are quite good regardless.

Thank you for sharing! waytogo.gif

• Tulloch likes this

#5 AstroEthan

AstroEthan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio area, TX, U.S.

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:09 AM

Not bad! Are these using the same color settings from your other thread? If so, any additional balancing in post-processing?

• Tulloch likes this

#6 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:15 PM

Hi all, thanks for all the comments and the likes smile.gif

I meant to add the capture and processing details, but after processing these things for most of the day and into the night using different sharpening techniques, contrast and level settings etc I was too tired and just put out whatever I thought looked the best at the time.

To the specific questions ...

Not too shabby! It's hard work this early in the "season", lots of frames end up in the bin ...

Which OTA are you using the days again? You got a new one from memory?

Thanks Darren, yes I should be able to clean up about 50GB of hard disk space. I'm using the 9.25" SCT exclusively now, with a 2.5x PowerMate and short TV adapter which appears to be giving me a focal ratio of about f/20.

Not bad! Are these using the same color settings from your other thread? If so, any additional balancing in post-processing?

Thanks, the Mars image was using my so-called "daylight white balance" settings from the previous post, Wred=62 and Wblue=99 - I played around with the auto-WB setting in PS by pointing it at the white (polar ice?) section at the top, but it made virtually no difference so I left it as it was. For Jupiter I toyed with leaving it as captured or autobalancing the colours in Registax, I eventually went with the Registax auto-WB settings of R0.99 G0.99 B1.07 (so a bit more blue) to counteract the supposed reddening from the atmosphere, so it looks like I've come full circle smile.gif on that score. If only there was a nice 18% grey card in space ... lol.gif . But I guess the G2V star approach is the closest I can do on that score. Mercury was of course a colour mess as I don't have an ADC and was shooting without filters (except the IR cut), so I shifted the red and blue channels in Registax to try and get some sort of balance, then reduced the saturation in PS to give the whit-ish colour attached.

So, details...

Celestron Evolution 9.25" SCT @ ~f20 with 2.5x PowerMate, ASI 224MC with Wred=62 Wblue=99, 25 or 33% stacked in AS!3 with 3x drizzle, sharpened in Registax, final touches in Photoshop Elements. Hovering over the images will give you an idea of the process.

Andrew

Edited by Tulloch, 31 March 2020 - 04:18 PM.

#7 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:53 PM

Finally got a break in the weather, and so I headed out early to try and capture the GRS transiting across Jupiter. I took around 10 videos and it was only the last few that showed any promise. Either the OTA had not cooled down enough after being under the wet BBQ cover all night, or being out of focus, or the dew forming on the corrector plate which needed the portable heater to remove or just because Jupiter was rising in elevation as the morning progressed, I only ended up getting a couple of half decent shots of the GRS with the shadow of Callisto crossing the planet. 

In between Jupiter images I took some of Mars and Saturn (even a small rainbow that might be Mercury) but Saturn came out badly and Mars has some weird artifact which probably isn't real. Mercury is of course too small to see anything, but I have hopes for these other planets tomorrow morning.

Anyway, these are the best of a bad lot, Jupiter at captured size, Mars 200% captured size, Mercury 150% captured size.

Andrew

This is half decent? It's fantastic! Your image of Jupiter is much better than most of the ones I got until last year. Nice picture of Mars and Venus too.

Taras

• Tulloch likes this

#8 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:54 PM

Hey! Great Jupiter, good Mars and any Mercury is a good Mercury, if you can catch it! Well done!

STARKID2U

• Tulloch likes this

#9 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:56 PM

Hi Andrew,

Great colors and Jupiter really stands out in a very good collection.  I think your work on colors has been really good.

We have been a bit starved of opportunity here and it does not look better for some time. Thick cloud between 4am and 5.15am this morning stopped me from comparing image quality with my Cat under a shopping bag against your C9.25 unders its pricey BBQ cover! There was some hazy sucker holes but they disappeared too quickly for me to get a planet on the chip.  Glad to see you and a few regulars like Paul are getting some fresh images in.

• Tulloch likes this

#10 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the extra likes and comments flowerred.gif .

This is half decent? It's fantastic! Your image of Jupiter is much better than most of the ones I got until last year. Nice picture of Mars and Venus too.

Taras

Thanks Taras, I guess it's what you're used to. With Jupiter punching 60 degrees elevation by 6:30am and still climbing, I guess I was hoping for more. I think that I was just a bit out of practice and wanted to do too much too soon. This morning's session was better smile.gif .

Hi Andrew,

Great colors and Jupiter really stands out in a very good collection.  I think your work on colors has been really good.

We have been a bit starved of opportunity here and it does not look better for some time. Thick cloud between 4am and 5.15am this morning stopped me from comparing image quality with my Cat under a shopping bag against your C9.25 unders its pricey BBQ cover! There was some hazy sucker holes but they disappeared too quickly for me to get a planet on the chip.  Glad to see you and a few regulars like Paul are getting some fresh images in.

Thanks for that, I think my colour investigation has been more to satisfy myself on how to get colour balance close, but will still require some post processing to remove the effects from the atmosphere and light pollution.

These two mornings just past have been the first time the skies have been clear here for about a month, so I'm glad I was able to get out. The next week is forecast to be cloudy again, I'm going to have to dine out on these for a while I think.

Andrew

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics