•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oberwerk BT-127XL-SD

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#51 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

• Loc: In the class 8/9 glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:13 PM

Probably works ok. I often have to set my N12 counterbalance to minimum with my 100's. The N12 is rated to 26 lbs.

---

Michael Mc

I use the Nitrotech 608 with Obie 100’s and I have the counterbalance close to maxed out with ep’s loaded. There is only maybe 1-1/2 turns left on the piston control knob. 

#52 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:37 PM

I use the Nitrotech 608 with Obie 100’s and I have the counterbalance close to maxed out with ep’s loaded. There is only maybe 1-1/2 turns left on the piston control knob.

That stands to reason, I suppose.  On the N8/608 the range of the CB piston is 0-8kg and on the N12/612 it's 4-12kg.  For lighter loads than a BT, the 12kg head may overpower them as it can't go below 4kg; there's no CB disconnect setting like other Manfrotto heads.  Kevin must figure most of the binos he sells would benefit from the 0-8kg rating so he only stocks the N608.  IMO, it wouldn't hurt to have the 12kg model in inventory as well as he sells 10#+ binos as well as 13#+ 100mm BTs.

Rich

#53 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

• Loc: In the class 8/9 glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:42 PM

That stands to reason, I suppose.  On the N8/608 the range of the CB piston is 0-8kg and on the N12/612 it's 4-12kg.  For lighter loads than a BT, the 12kg head may overpower them as it can't go below 4kg; there's no CB disconnect setting like other Manfrotto heads.  Kevin must figure most of the binos he sells would benefit from the 0-8kg rating so he only stocks the N608.  IMO, it wouldn't hurt to have the 12kg model in inventory as well as he sells 10#+ binos as well as 13#+ 100mm BTs.

Rich

My 100 is an SD BT.     It’s 12.5 lbs.  Even with a pair of ep’s loaded it doesn’t max out the 608 but it is close. I think some get confused about the weight because the APM 100 apo is about 4 lbs. heavier.  Up until earlier this week (release of the 127 BT) this was the heaviest Oberwerk model so the 608 was the most heavy duty they needed. 

Sonny

Edited by sonny.barile, 10 April 2020 - 06:49 PM.

#54 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rocky Mountains

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:27 PM

Wonder how this Bino is going. Looks quite stunning and the size could hit the overall functional sweet spot. Ready to ship in a couple weeks according to the website.

I'm interested, but I need a picture of a person standing next to this bino, mounted on a Manfrotto 161B on a Orion fork mount with two 17.5 Morph's that come to focus. That needs to be confirmed.

• madcoverboy likes this

#55 madcoverboy

madcoverboy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Boulder, CO, USA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:44 AM

I’m also interested to hear reviews once this starts to ship! Anyone put orders in or is everyone sitting on the sidelines waiting for someone else to be the first mover?
  • duck2k likes this

#56 Prescott702

Prescott702

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sin City

Posted 07 June 2020 - 11:32 PM

Somebody can suggest Kevin a new binos with magnesium body and fk61 glass for the 110 binos, with a 40x eyepieces? We need a cheap alternative for those can afford big apo binos and want/need more than the “standard” 25x 

• FlanaganV likes this

#57 FlanaganV

FlanaganV

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 08 June 2020 - 10:27 AM

I'd also like a 'cheap' substitute for the Docter Aspectem. 40x110 ED sounds good. It would be a nice step up from my 22x70.

• Prescott702 likes this

#58 madcoverboy

madcoverboy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Boulder, CO, USA

Posted 15 June 2020 - 10:00 AM

Looks like these have been delayed again, as of June 15 there's a new disclaimer up on the page: "Accepting pre-orders beginning in July. Anticipated delivery is late July." It had said accepting pre-orders in May for delivery in June before.

#59 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 26 August 2020 - 10:33 AM

Any recent news?  Web page says "next shipment arrives early October".

Must be having production problems, maybe co-vid related?  Should be a really nice instrument, definitely easier to handle than APM 150.

Has any one first-lighted one of these yet?  Would be interesting to read some reports and comparisons.

Curiosity grows-----question.gif

Rick

#60 Rapidray

Rapidray

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia - Florida

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:36 PM

Now this one has my attention. Definitely on the sidelines with this one.

#61 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:10 PM

New fork mount now on website: https://oberwerk.com...ular-telescope/.

Open "tripods, mounts and accessories" at the bottom of left hand column on page.

The mount looks good, I especially like the provision for vertical adjustment of the instrument perch.  Makes getting a good balance much easier.

Price for the big (280) one is $499.95.

Rick

#62 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:42 PM

Seems priced very competitively priced compared to other forks, too.  I like the vertical balance adjustment feature as well.  Would like to hear about the smoothness of the clutch action.

This link goes right to the XL fork:  https://oberwerk.com...-xl-fork-mount/

Rich

#63 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:13 PM

Seems priced very competitively priced compared to other forks, too.  I like the vertical balance adjustment feature as well.  Would like to hear about the smoothness of the clutch action.

This link goes right to the XL fork:  https://oberwerk.com...-xl-fork-mount/

Rich

Rich, 

Thanks for fixing that link.  Agree about the smoothness of the clutch action, on both axes, plus would like to see a load capacity.

Rick

#64 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

Website now says the 127 XL is "available on backorder", also that it is now out of stock, next shipment due early November, versus early October, last time I looked.  

Link:  https://oberwerk.com...ular-telescope/

This makes it sound like they have already gotten a shipment in and sold them out.  Or are they just leading us along?  I can understand a delay in this day and time of honesty and transparency, (not), but would be nice to hear from the vendor about what is really going on.

Also would be nice to hear from someone who has purchased and used one, if they have really been available.

Rick

#65 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rocky Mountains

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:38 PM

Kevin is usually so good with jumping in on the forum here and giving us the facts and figures with what he is releasing. He is not doing that here with this one. I'm guessing there is an issue.

#66 William Whitaker

William Whitaker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:14 PM

I sure wish he'd say something. This one is definitely on my dream list.

#67 OBERWERK

OBERWERK

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: OH

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:20 AM

Sorry- we've been quiet because there was a last-minute issue that stopped production, which I believe is now fixed. I'll be able to confirm that next week.  The dates on the website keep getting pushed out mostly because the pre-order list keeps growing.  We're also experiencing record sales with all other models due to Covid-19.  People trapped in their homes are discovering backyard astronomy and bird-watching, and are ordering binoculars at a rate 2-3 times our normal sales volume- so we're struggling, as well as our factory, just to keep up with that.  On top of that, we have some larger military orders to fulfill. So all this has also impacted delivery dates for 127mm.   

• garret, sonny.barile, oldmanrick and 5 others like this

#68 William Whitaker

William Whitaker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:25 AM

Thank you for your response Kevin. :-)
I'm glad your business is doing so well!

~Will

• sonny.barile likes this

#69 Rapidray

Rapidray

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia - Florida

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:29 AM

Thank you for keeping us in the loop!

#70 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:08 PM

Kevin, thank you for the explanation!

Happy to hear that your sales are doing so well.  Hope that factory production and your outlet can keep up.  Sounds like a nice problem to have.

Hope you get all the issues fixed for the new 127.  Will be interesting to read user reports and comparisons.

Rick 

• sonny.barile likes this

#71 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:15 AM

Website for the 127XL indicates that they are shipping binoculars from the initial order.  Anyone here received theirs yet?

They must be getting lots of orders for these.  There is a note linked at the bottom of the 127XL web page titled something like "Considering the 127XL?", which is kind of a shoppers guide to help choose between these and smaller models.

Hopefully we will be hearing some overall impressions and user reports about the 127XL soon.

Rick

#72 William Whitaker

William Whitaker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:35 AM

...There is a note linked at the bottom of the 127XL web page titled something like "Considering the 127XL?", which is kind of a shoppers guide to help choose between these and smaller models...

Rick

Rick,

I could not find the note you referenced. Could you possibly share the link?

Thanks!

~Will

#73 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:46 AM

Sorry 'bout that.  See if this works.  https://oberwerk.com...he-bt-127xl-sd/  If not the link is next to a little blue icon in the black field at the bottom of the BT 127 XL web page.

Rick

• madcoverboy likes this

#74 William Whitaker

William Whitaker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:11 PM

Thank you Rick! I don't know why that didn't show up in my original search. Perhaps a browser issue....

Doesn't matter now. Your link worked great. 

And the textual content was interesting to read.

All best!

~Will

Edited by William Whitaker, 22 November 2020 - 12:52 PM.

#75 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:13 PM

I have transferred funds recently. As soon as I get the check, I will be reserving one.  More orders will be shipped out in January.  I have the 161MK2B tripod (need a bayonet adapter) so the bino and the fork will be no problem. Will comment as I know more after reserving.:)

• oldmanrick likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics