•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Suggestions for a computer to handle full frame CMOS imaging

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:24 PM

I have several ZWO cameras but just purchased my first full frame CMOS from QHY.  I need to upgrade my computer power and the folks at PI suggested I get a new one given my current Dell with 16 GBs and i5 core processor.  They are suggesting one of the latest AMD Ryzen 9 processors, a minimum of 64 GB and a solid state disk drive.

I am not skilled enough to build my own but can afford a decent upgrade.  Can you suggest brands/models out there that would work?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce 

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:38 PM

Anyone with a high school education and willing to do a bit of research can build their own computer. My son started building his own PC's at age 13. It's a great project for people who are locked down. You can order parts from most places, I prefer Newegg. I built an 8 core Ryzen 7 2700 (8 cores and 16 threads) with 32gb of memory and two hard drives for about 1200 dollars. That was 18 months ago. Check it out and you'll see what I mean. 

• jdupton likes this

#3 jdupton

jdupton

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:40 PM

Bruce,

Are you speaking of image capture or image processing? Your current i5 and 16 Gb RAM has enough power to capture although you may need an SSD to make sure the computer is not the limiting factor during image downloads with everything else that goes on.

If you are speaking of a new image processing computer (as I think you may be having referenced recommendations from PI users), then yes, a later generation AMD Ryzen system would probably be best at this point in time. 

If you do not wish to assemble one yourself, and I can understand that trepidation, then scour the Web for name brand units that offer Ryzen CPUs with at least 32 GB or 64 GB RAM, and feature fast NVMe type storage drives. AMD has not been as popular in big-name off the self computers but can be found as they are becoming more popular by the day.

John

Edited by jdupton, 31 March 2020 - 12:41 PM.

#4 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:59 PM

John- image processing 

Thank you

#5 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Gemini

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:06 PM

Bruce, depends on what you ultimately want to do. I have a 16 megapixel resolution CMOS camera....

My seventh generation i5 with 4Gb RAM worked fine with long exposure AP,  but choked when stacking short exposures. I increased RAM to 8Gb and it worked, but so sloooowly. Until I got an eighth generation i7 with 16Gb RAM I didn't enjoy the near live performance I desired.

This is where regular low resolution CCD AP departs from the current trend towards CMOS and short stacking. If prepared to wait 60 minutes for a single exposure then minimum computing power is fine. But albeit a ten second frame captures fewer photons, it has just as many pixels. Now consider that there are now 360 such exposures to be captured and processed in the same total integration time. It demands massively more computing power.

I would invest in at least eighth generation i7 with 16 Gb else you might later regret it. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics