•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another M3

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:09 PM

A shot of M3.

It sat too low. Had much LP i tried to filter out via Astro Pixelprocessor, but it did not do the job completely allthough it helped.

60 exposures of 40"

15 darks, 58 flats and about 38 bias...

102 mm F/7

Attached Thumbnails

• m3_002 (Large).jpg

• Starman27, rekokich, pyrasanth and 3 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:14 PM

very pretty
well done and thank you.

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:18 PM

The green colour cast is easy to remove-did you gave that consideration?

I had a go at M3 earlier in the month https://www.cloudyni...asa-11-qhy168c/

You have a really nice wide image - the green is distracting from the potential.

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#4 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:25 PM

i am still working on,it

The first couple of tries it was really spoiled by LP..and i really will the coming  weeks, months to get in post processing because for now i don't almost nothing about it ..

BTW saw your image, , a m a z i n g ,wich scope did you use?

• pyrasanth likes this

#5 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:31 PM

Tried to blacken it....

Attached Thumbnails

• m3_003 (Large).jpg

• Kevin_A likes this

#6 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:34 PM

^ Still an askew rectangle of green centered on M3, and a half circle of the same to the left of field.

#7 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

Frankly i don't see the green very well but i do notice some reddish stars in the core...

Hmm needs tinkering...

#8 Steve OK

Steve OK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:57 PM

Freddy, that is a nice sharp image.  Light pollution, and the gradients it can cause, make for some challenging processing.  You don't say what image processing software you have.  I played with your image for a while

using Photoshop, and will post the result here if you like.  I don't have any of the gradient exterminator plug-ins or the like, but do have a few tricks up my sleeve.

Steve

• Astroman007 likes this

#9 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:08 PM

Sure go ahead

For now i am using GIMP, and runned it also through Astro pixel processor as test., i just donwloaded yesterday the trial verson.

Actually i think sharpening and polar align is rather well, so far , but i don't guide yet.A thing for the future.

Coming months i really must get in processing...maybe the time as summer comes.

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 31 March 2020 - 02:08 PM.

#10 Steve OK

Steve OK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:21 PM

OK, here it is.  I'm not suggesting that this is how it should look, it is just my take on it.

JM-M3.jpg

Steve

#11 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:28 PM

I hope you don't mind I took some liberties. I ran it through ProDigital Software's Astronomy Tool hard gradient removal action. 

The image has some uneven gradients too.

post-1961-0-09371400-1585678153.jpg

• F.Meiresonne and Steve OK like this

#12 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:35 PM

i am still working on,it

The first couple of tries it was really spoiled by LP..and i really will the coming  weeks, months to get in post processing because for now i don't almost nothing about it ..

BTW saw your image, , a m a z i n g ,wich scope did you use?

Thank you for your kind comments.

I used the Celestron RASA 11" & QHY168C OSC camera- 203 15 second subs unguided.

#13 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:36 PM

Wow, very nice indeed, also you guys had on a resized jpg sample which is not much...

Thanks.

#14 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Viking 1

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:38 PM

The "remove light pollution" tool in Astro Pixel Processor should be able to remove the background light pollution and greenish cast just fine... just open the tool, select a bunch of boxes around the object that contain only sky background and minimal stars, and it should take it right away. Then run the "calibrate star colors" tool, and you should have an even better image. But nicely done! The cluster looks so glittery.

#15 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:48 PM

The "remove light pollution" tool in Astro Pixel Processor should be able to remove the background light pollution and greenish cast just fine... just open the tool, select a bunch of boxes around the object that contain only sky background and minimal stars, and it should take it right away. Then run the "calibrate star colors" tool, and you should have an even better image. But nicely done! The cluster looks so glittery.

I am testing the software, not that intuitive imo.... also i can't see to find a full written manual ????

Because i did just the opposite...i took big boxes....smirk.gif in the picture that were most polluted , seems i should do exactly the opposite...

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 31 March 2020 - 02:53 PM.

#16 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Viking 1

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:58 PM

There isn't a complete manual yet, although they are working on one. If you log into your account on the APP site, under "downloads" there's a downloadable quick reference guide, although it is not complete.

I think the best reference for learning the software are the video tutorials. In particular, if you take the time to go through the Rho Ophiuchi tutorial, he goes through all the basic screens and tools. I found it the most helpful when I started using the software. Beyond that, if you hover your mouse cursor over each of the items in the menus, it brings up a text box with an explanation of what that item does, along with how to apply the various settings. So it does take a little bit of hunting, but once you get used to it, it's really quite easy to use.

#17 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:02 PM

ok  i will take a look thanks  ,allthough by now they should have at least some descent written material. I have the quick reference , it is far from complete.

For commercial software, which it is, this should not be the case...imho

#18 mpaul73

mpaul73

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:27 PM

Once the green was gone it is very pleasant. My personal taste would be to crop it closer but that's just what I would prefer. Well done!

#19 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:58 PM

Cleans up quite nicely and as suggested its good with a tighter crop.

M3_TEST.jpg

#20 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:02 PM

Indeed, picture seems to have potential, cropped pulls out more stars and detail..

I wonder if i should have shorten my exposure to 30", the center has a tendecy to being overexposed a bit...

so here a crazy cropped one

Attached Thumbnails

• Knipsel.JPG

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 31 March 2020 - 04:05 PM.

#21 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:04 AM

Indeed it does, but however then afterwards processing it GIMP seems a tough job , I cannot get the colors right, it eithers turns to much blue, red, or green.

Or just run it though APP after some processing in GIMP...

Still got to work my way through APP though, and I have only 30 day trial period, off course that is way too short ...

#22 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Viking 1

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:34 AM

Indeed it does, but however then afterwards processing it GIMP seems a tough job , I cannot get the colors right, it eithers turns to much blue, red, or green.

Or just run it though APP after some processing in GIMP...

Still got to work my way through APP though, and I have only 30 day trial period, off course that is way too short ...

Can you post a picture of what you're seeing? Or if you want to upload the stack somewhere, I'd be happy to run it through APP and GIMP to see what might be happening with the colors.

#23 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:25 AM

See pictures.

Either too much blue or too much green around the core.

LP seems reduced alot though.

You definately have to follow the video too understand the process allthouhg it is not all that difficult once you know

Attached Thumbnails

• m3_001 (Large).jpg
  • m3-lpc-cbg_001 (Large).jpg

#24 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Viking 1

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:56 AM

I see what you mean. After I go through light pollution removal and star calibration, I usually see a lot of green in my images as well. I think neutralizing the reddish background tends to skew the colors to green, but there's a quick fix for it in APP. Once you've gone through light pollution removal and star calibration, go into "HSL selective color" and change the color dropdown from Red to Green. Then slide the G< >MA slider all the way to the right and hit "calculate" and "apply" to neutralize the green tint.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics