•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron ED 6.5 x 44 - any experience with it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drainpipeviewer

Drainpipeviewer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Westerwald, Germany

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:36 PM

Hello,

I recently bought nice Little binoculars from Celestron. It is the ED 6.5 x 44 (7.3° FOV), made in Japan. They don't look spectacular in terms of design and are rather lightweight. I took them out yesterday to have a look at the cescent moon and the view was very crisp and clear, not much CA to see. Unfortunately, the sky got too cloudy to have further views at the stars. Since I could not find reviews about it, I wanted to ask if anyone can share some experience with it. Thanks. 

IMG_20200331_131940.jpg

• Erik Bakker and ihf like this

#2 Drainpipeviewer

Drainpipeviewer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 April 2020 - 03:24 PM

I have noticed that the collimation needs some adjustment in the horizontal direction. If I look at a star I see two separted stars. Has anyone ever tried to collimate this binocular? I don't know where to find the collimation screws.

#3 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:09 PM

I'm not an expert, but the first thing to check is if the objectives have eccentric rings for collimation.

#4 Drainpipeviewer

Drainpipeviewer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:31 PM

Hi,

I have found the Locations of the tiny allen screws. Does anyone know the size of those allen screws? Thanks.

#5 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 07 April 2020 - 04:26 AM

I owned too many over the years. I kept selling them to raise money, and missing them bought another pair, or found some at a good price etc.

Like any vintage binocular they may suffer from damage, poor handling, care, or just time and age.

A good pair of these are great.

Compared to other binoculars in my limited experience is a richness of the color of things you are looking at. (Not false color!).  Most other binoculars by comparison appear to wash out the colors.

I had a pair of the Miyauchi 5x32 that also had that richness of color. And I looked through some Zeiss 7 or 8x42? These were new about 10 years ago. They were the best I've looked through. They may been a fluorite model?

Ergonomics: light weight, easily hand held, fit in the hands is good.

These were a bit of a disappointment for astronomy use. Maybe at a really dark sky they would do better.

I would treat these with care. They are not water proof, mud proof, Bourbon proof and I would leave them at home if you are going on a dune buggy/motorcycle Baja run.

I have not compared them to more recent ED binoculars.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics