•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Greyscale image

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 r3g

r3g

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:32 PM

I took my main and guidescope outside to get them in focus this morning and once I thought I achieved good focus using the preview in ATP I snapped a pic with the ASI183MC so I could look at it in closer in photoshop. For some reason the picture loads in greyscale and I'm not sure why since its a color camera and the ATP live view was showing in color. It also shows grey in deep sky stacker. Anyone know how this could have happened? This is my first time taking an in focus light frame with it.

Edited by r3g, 31 March 2020 - 03:39 PM.

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:42 PM

It may be that the image is still in the RAW or debayered state.

You can get a clue by zooming into the pixels really close. If you see a pattern of squares then you have a CFA image that needs debayering.

#3 r3g

r3g

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:51 PM

It may be that the image is still in the RAW or debayered state.

You can get a clue by zooming into the pixels really close. If you see a pattern of squares then you have a CFA image that needs debayering.

I definitely did notice the square pattern when I zoomed in  in Photoshop.

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:51 PM

I definitely did notice the square pattern when I zoomed in  in Photoshop.

That is the solution to your problem. You will need to debayer the images to convert to colour. The first thing you need to do is determine the debayer pattern. Most sensors are RGGB or red,green,green,blue but it can differ. Experiment until the colours look about right. Most astro processing packages have the ability to debayer.

Do not be alarmed if your files suddenly become much larger. This is because each channel gets interpolated to the size of the original and there are 3 channels which need this process. When you open up a debayered image it should be full colour but you will expect a colour cast as one or more of the channels will not be balanced so use background neutralization before deciding if you've selected the right debayer matrix. 

#5 r3g

r3g

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:46 PM

That is the solution to your problem. You will need to debayer the images to convert to colour. The first thing you need to do is determine the debayer pattern. Most sensors are RGGB or red,green,green,blue but it can differ. Experiment until the colours look about right. Most astro processing packages have the ability to debayer.

Do not be alarmed if your files suddenly become much larger. This is because each channel gets interpolated to the size of the original and there are 3 channels which need this process. When you open up a debayered image it should be full colour but you will expect a colour cast as one or more of the channels will not be balanced so use background neutralization before deciding if you've selected the right debayer matrix. 

I was able to figure it out in DSS. I noticed though that all the options for debayering results in a loss of resolution.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics