•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is it just me? Voyager UI colour scheme makes text difficult to read

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:55 PM

Anyone else having readability issues with Voyager?

I have not so good eyesight so low contrast UI scheme with a multitude of different colours on a variety of different grey shade backgrounds and small font size  make for an exceedingly difficult to read UI.

The biggest culprits are red text on a mid grey or dark red background and yellow on a pale grey background. I can't read any of that without getting severe eye strain.

I'm rather disappointed when trying out the demo version given I've only heard good things about  Voyagers capabilities.

All I can say is SGPro have got it right - nice easy to read high contrast UI elements - I have never had any trouble reading the screen with this software.

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:04 PM

I also have a hard time with low contrast but I use Voyager on two 30 inch Apple monitors so everything is nice and large. 

#3 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:19 PM

I had to resort to using my micro electronics loupe glasses!

I've counted 15 different text and background colours combinations on a single screen - of those 5 are unreadable (for me) because of the tiny font and low contrast. There are also 5 different font sizes in use.

I have to admit - this is the poorest UI design I've seen in a long time - no consideration for old eyes or even colour blind users or users of small screen laptops!

This website is a great tool - sample the foreground and background colours and it will give you a UI pass/fail for the measured readability contrast - and suggest a font size appropriate for the measured contrast to get a "pass"

https://colorable.jxnblk.com/

Edited by Tonk, 31 March 2020 - 04:34 PM.

• psandelle likes this

#4 Leonardo70

Leonardo70

Vendor (Starkeeper Software)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Turin - Italy

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:45 AM

Make a study with your link and your skill of the colors and fonts you want in Voyager, i will do change personally for you.

Windows must remain gray and you must use the program by night.

Thank you so much

LO

Edited by Leonardo70, 01 April 2020 - 03:46 AM.

#5 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:12 AM

I think the best solution for me is the one suggested above - get a 30" monitor and make everything bigger. I have fovea blindness in the left eye which means my vision is a lower resolution than normal anyway.

you must use the program by night.

That's a tall order in my (and possibly many others) cases. I operate my telescope remotely in a different time zone. Its daytime when I operate the scope - especially in summer due to my high latitude location and night never really happens for 6 weeks - scopes fine as its much further south and still gets 6 hours of darkness mid summer.

#6 Leonardo70

Leonardo70

Vendor (Starkeeper Software)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Turin - Italy

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:47 AM

My offer remain valid ... we have a 29 different skin to use ... if you study the best color for you and your problem ... will be happy to found the nearest to your request.   Please use our support mail and submit all.

• psandelle likes this

#7 Tonk

Tonk

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:40 AM

Email sent. Thank you :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics