•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New 2" Mounted Chroma filters and ZWO EFW 2"x7 issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:47 PM

I just got a new set of 2" mounted Chroma filters LRGB and 3nm Ha, Oiii, and Sii.   When I went to install  them in a new ZWO 2" x 7 EFW, the filters screw down until they rub on the bottom of the filter frame and then hang up on the EFW circuit board.  I considered removing the three screws that hold the filter wheel on and flipping it over.  That might do the trick but the screw recesses are on the other side so I don't to do that, and, it looks like the rotator motor wouldn't contact the outer edge of the filter wheel, there has to be an elegant solution.   If there were some kind of shim for each filter to prevent it from screwing in so far, that might fix it.    I could just screw the filters in 1/2 way and that would work but I think they would change positions over time.

Has anyone elso had this issue?  Suggestions??

Thanks

#2 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:20 PM

Have you emailed ZWO support??

#3 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:25 PM

Have you emailed ZWO support??

I guess I could try but with things in China and Corona, I'm not hoping for much.

#4 PittsDriver

PittsDriver

Explorer 1

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:37 PM

Give ZWO support a try. I emailed a question this evening relating to product availability and received an almost instantaneous reply. Not auto generated either, a reply specific to my question.

Rich

#5 juliangeorgeshaw

juliangeorgeshaw

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 April 2020 - 01:33 AM

Yes ZWO is responsive but I suppose you have seen the drawing on their website of their spec for mounted filters 'from third party':

"Below requirements must be met while using the 2” filter from third-party."

https://astronomy-im...5-x-2″or-7-x-2″

--> thekubiaks or anyone else with Chroma mounted filters: If you have a micrometer can you tell us the total height of Chroma mounted filters? ZWO says that the total height should be 7.5mm including 2.5mm of thread. If you use shims or don't screw them all the way in will this make them ride too high? I don't suppose you could use the supplied filter masks as shims, trimming off the ears?

I'm trying to switch my own Chroma order to 50mm unmounted. I hope they are really 50mm because...

"50.4mm ±0.5mm Unmounted Filters can be used"

which is pretty tight.

FWIW,  "50.4mm ±0.5mm" means e.g. that Astrodon's unmounted 49.7mm filters are too small!

#6 Herculesccyh

Herculesccyh

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Suzhuo, China

Posted 01 April 2020 - 01:43 AM

I just got a new set of 2" mounted Chroma filters LRGB and 3nm Ha, Oiii, and Sii.   When I went to install  them in a new ZWO 2" x 7 EFW, the filters screw down until they rub on the bottom of the filter frame and then hang up on the EFW circuit board.  I considered removing the three screws that hold the filter wheel on and flipping it over.  That might do the trick but the screw recesses are on the other side so I don't to do that, and, it looks like the rotator motor wouldn't contact the outer edge of the filter wheel, there has to be an elegant solution.   If there were some kind of shim for each filter to prevent it from screwing in so far, that might fix it.    I could just screw the filters in 1/2 way and that would work but I think they would change positions over time.

Has anyone elso had this issue?  Suggestions??

Thanks

Could you share us specification of Chroma filter size, thickness, diameter of the mount?

I will pass this info to our devs and they will look into this.

Also we have all got back to office so there's no need to worry.

You can send us email to support@zwoptical.com

Edited by Herculesccyh, 01 April 2020 - 01:53 AM.

• ZL4PLM likes this

#7 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:29 AM

I think this more if a Chroma issue, the filters are 8.5mm tall, the ZWO spec says they need to be no taller than 7.5mm.

I made shims for the 7 filters on a 3d printer out of PLA, 1mm tall, that fixed the issue.

#8 juliangeorgeshaw

juliangeorgeshaw

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:31 AM

I think this more if a Chroma issue, the filters are 8.5mm tall, the ZWO spec says they need to be no taller than 7.5mm.

I made shims for the 7 filters on a 3d printer out of PLA, 1mm tall, that fixed the issue.

That's good news!

What outer diameter did you make your shims please?

#9 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:19 AM

That's good news!

What outer diameter did you make your shims please?

Inner 48.8, outer 50.8, 1mm tall.   I had to tweak xyz a little for PLA shrinkage.

#10 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:11 PM

FWIW,  "50.4mm ±0.5mm" means e.g. that Astrodon's unmounted 49.7mm filters are too small!

Actually I'm using 49.7mm Astrodon narrowband filters in my ZWO 7x50mm wheel.  But because of the smaller size it can be a pain to center the filters in the filter disk, so I 3D printed filter centering masks to help.  Works perfectly.  

• rockstarbill and thekubiaks like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics