•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What are 3 good eyepieces for DSOs?

accessories eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 grzesznypl

grzesznypl

Ranger 4

• Loc: Jackson Heights, NY ... for now

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:14 PM

If you going to buy ES directly from Explorer Scientific page you can get 10% for the first order however I am not sure if you can combine it with current sale. Maybe someone can shed light on the issue.

EDIT: Use code "FIRST10" to combine both current sale and 10% off. For example (look pic below)

Attached Thumbnails

• Explorer.jpg

Edited by grzesznypl, 01 April 2020 - 03:22 PM.

#27 jakecru

jakecru

Apollo

• Loc: Northern Nevada, USA

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:44 PM

So after taking everyone’s useful advice into consideration I decided to stick with the 30mm that will be coming with the scope and I found ES82 14mm, 11mm, and 8.8 mm as they were on sale for 135$ each brand new. Seemed like a good deal and I think I will be able to afford a replacement for the 30mm Erfle and another one or two eyepieces to fill in the the low to medium power range very soon. I have definitely considered and looked into local astronomy clubs but with everything going on with Coronavirus there seems to be nothing still scheduled and also seems like not the best idea at this time and who knows when it will be. When the time comes I will probably replace my 30mm with a 31mm Nagler or ES82 30mm. I definitely still hope to check out the Baader Morpheus line as well as medium power Nagler and Delos and see what works best for me but I think I found a good setup to start with. Thanks for all the advice

Those should all be excellent with your scope, but you may want to consider replacing either the 11 or 14 mm with the 6.7 mm since the magnification difference between 11 and 14 is only 25x. Another option would be to swap the 14 with the 18 mm 2" ES 82. Or just keep it as you have it and be happy. Personally if I were building an ES 82 set I would look at the 30, 18, 11, 8.8, 6.7 combo with eventually finishing it off with the 4.7. Can't go wrong either way though. Great eyepieces for the money. 

• Gdev likes this

#28 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:01 PM

Those should all be excellent with your scope, but you may want to consider replacing either the 11 or 14 mm with the 6.7 mm since the magnification difference between 11 and 14 is only 25x. Another option would be to swap the 14 with the 18 mm 2" ES 82. Or just keep it as you have it and be happy. Personally if I were building an ES 82 set I would look at the 30, 18, 11, 8.8, 6.7 combo with eventually finishing it off with the 4.7. Can't go wrong either way though. Great eyepieces for the money. 

The 14 mm with a 2x Barlow provides 7mm, with the 11 mm, 5.5 mm and with the 8.8mm, 4.4mm.

Nice spread in my book.

Jon

• Gdev likes this

#29 Gdev

Gdev

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bridgewater, Massachusetts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:12 PM

I did order a 2x Barlow so this will be my starting selection.

#30 jakecru

jakecru

Apollo

• Loc: Northern Nevada, USA

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:22 PM

The 14 mm with a 2x Barlow provides 7mm, with the 11 mm, 5.5 mm and with the 8.8mm, 4.4mm.

Nice spread in my book.

Jon

Ah good point. I didn't see the barlow!

#31 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 01 April 2020 - 04:58 PM

Ah good point. I didn't see the barlow!

Jake:

With a good Barlow, you don't see it.. :)

Sorry but I couldn't resist..

Jon

• SeattleScott and BradFran like this

#32 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 01 April 2020 - 05:24 PM

Here comes best advice of the thread smile.gif. I cannot believe no one have suggested it.
Instead of buying eyepieces right away, join local club or go to local hotspot where astronomers gather for one or 2 sessions, I am sure someone there will have 10" GSO dob, and will allow you to use different eyepieces. There is no substitute for trying eyepieces in field. It is far superior then the best advise you get on this forum as all of us are different, have different eyes, habits, preferences, experience, goals, aspirations, financial constrains and observe from different locations.

Normally that is good advice but no one is doing star parties now.

Scott
  • Jon Isaacs and mrsjeff like this

#33 JoshUrban

JoshUrban

Vostok 1

• Loc: Indian Head, MD

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:50 PM

You should be plenty happy with the selection you got!  When you're looking for a lower power EP, I've found the 27mm Televue Panoptic to be a nice performer in my 10" dob (and really anything I use it with!)  I was using the "kit" 32mm eyepiece, and found the poor edge correction kept me chasing faint fuzzies that weren't there when I was star-hopping.  

There's a few objects that are excellent with the longer-focal length EP's, like the Veil Nebula (filter recommended), Andromeda Galaxy, Double Cluster, etc.  But, the great thing with eyepieces is:  you can build the collection as you go!  Sounds like a great stock is on the way, and there's years to acquire the extras.  :)  

• BradFran likes this

#34 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:30 AM

The Pentax SMC XWs are excellent eyepieces that compare very favorably optically with those in the Tele Vue Delos line.  I have some of each and actually somewhat prefer the ergonomics of the Pentax XWs.

• Jeff Morgan, BradFran, JoshUrban and 1 other like this

#35 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:59 AM

With 1250mm focal length and f/5 and 35mm eyepiece, the eye pupil will be over 7 ... 7.11 to be exact so that's waste of light even if assuming that his pupils are fully dilated, assuming is a key word. For his telescope 31-30 mm eyepiece would be maximum IMHO. As mention before by me and Jon his low power ep is fine if not good. Hi has much more urgent need getting mid, mid-hi and hi power eyepieces. 

However fit an OIII or UHC filter, which reduces effective exit pupil as the filters are dark, and you have a great combination. 

#36 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Messenger

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:03 AM

So after taking everyone’s useful advice into consideration I decided to stick with the 30mm that will be coming with the scope and I found ES82 14mm, 11mm, and 8.8 mm as they were on sale for 135$ each brand new. Seemed like a good deal and I think I will be able to afford a replacement for the 30mm Erfle and another one or two eyepieces to fill in the the low to medium power range very soon. I have definitely considered and looked into local astronomy clubs but with everything going on with Coronavirus there seems to be nothing still scheduled and also seems like not the best idea at this time and who knows when it will be. When the time comes I will probably replace my 30mm with a 31mm Nagler or ES82 30mm. I definitely still hope to check out the Baader Morpheus line as well as medium power Nagler and Delos and see what works best for me but I think I found a good setup to start with. Thanks for all the advice

Excellent choices!  I think you're well on your way to enjoyment.  Clear Skies.

#37 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:57 AM

With 1250mm focal length and f/5 and 35mm eyepiece, the eye pupil will be over 7 ... 7.11 to be exact so that's waste of light even if assuming that his pupils are fully dilated, assuming is a key word. For his telescope 31-30 mm eyepiece would be maximum IMHO. As mention before by me and Jon his low power ep is fine if not good. Hi has much more urgent need getting mid, mid-hi and hi power eyepieces.

However fit an OIII or UHC filter, which reduces effective exit pupil as the filters are dark, and you have a great combination.

A filter does not change the effective diameter of the exit pupil. If the exit pupil is larger than the observer's dark adapted pupil, it will still be larger with a filter and the light from both the object and sky that does not enter the eye will be "wasted."

Jon.  

• grzesznypl likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics