•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion XT10g First Light...

dob equipment mount observing optics Orion reflector
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:08 PM

I recently purchased an Orion XT10g which will be replacing my Evolution mounted EdgeHD 8 and a 10" Zhummel Dob.

This scope will give me the extra aperture that the Zhummel has as well as the tracking and GoTo of the Evolution.

I made a few upgrades before I took it out for its first night under the stars...

• Center spotted the primary with Catseye's Hotspot (already have set of their collimation tools)
  • Installed Protostar FlockBoard along the full length of the tube
  • Replaced the focuser with a Moonlight CR focuser 
  • Added a couple Farpoint lifting straps
  • Added Bob's Knobs to the secondary holder.

Last night it had its first light.  Overall I'm quite happy.  

Collimation was easy as expected using Catseye's tools.  

Alignment (two-star) was similarly quite quick and easy.  Objects were found easily and well within, if not near the center of my lowest power, widest field eyepiece (17mm Ethos)

Skies were clear and transparency was above average.  Seeing wasn't the best so I kept to low powers.  Very impressed with the optical quality.  

Using my GSO coma corrector I got near perfect images even at the edge of a 100º field of view.  As was the case with my Zhummel Z10, the GSO corrector is plug-and-play.  No need to do any adjusting or fiddling.  

Panning around via the hand controller was very smooth.  No backlash noted.  

Now the only issue that I have is that the azimuth movement, manually that is, is very stiff.  Stiff to the point of really not possible without toppling the whole scope over.  I've already raised this concern with Orion and they are sending a new base out to me.

I'm hopeful that issue will be fixed. 

• Bomber Bob, skfboiler1, 25585 and 2 others like this

#2 starryhtx

starryhtx

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:39 PM

I recently purchased an Orion XT10g which will be replacing my Evolution mounted EdgeHD 8 and a 10" Zhummel Dob.

This scope will give me the extra aperture that the Zhummel has as well as the tracking and GoTo of the Evolution.

I made a few upgrades before I took it out for its first night under the stars...

• Center spotted the primary with Catseye's Hotspot (already have set of their collimation tools)
  • Installed Protostar FlockBoard along the full length of the tube
  • Replaced the focuser with a Moonlight CR focuser 
  • Added a couple Farpoint lifting straps
  • Added Bob's Knobs to the secondary holder.

Last night it had its first light.  Overall I'm quite happy.  

Collimation was easy as expected using Catseye's tools.  

Alignment (two-star) was similarly quite quick and easy.  Objects were found easily and well within, if not near the center of my lowest power, widest field eyepiece (17mm Ethos)

Skies were clear and transparency was above average.  Seeing wasn't the best so I kept to low powers.  Very impressed with the optical quality.  

Using my GSO coma corrector I got near perfect images even at the edge of a 100º field of view.  As was the case with my Zhummel Z10, the GSO corrector is plug-and-play.  No need to do any adjusting or fiddling.  

Panning around via the hand controller was very smooth.  No backlash noted.  

Now the only issue that I have is that the azimuth movement, manually that is, is very stiff.  Stiff to the point of really not possible without toppling the whole scope over.  I've already raised this concern with Orion and they are sending a new base out to me.

I'm hopeful that issue will be fixed. 

Great first light report! Glad you're happy with the setup, can we see some pics of it too? Clear skies!

#3 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:03 PM

Glad you like your XT10g.  I've certainly been happy with my Orion XX12g.  A suggested upgrade: get the WiFi dongle to replace the handset, and then use the SynScan Pro app on your Phone or iPad to run it.  You get an assortment of alignment options and you can align it with each object you go to.  It's very handy, and I find the goto becomes more accurate.  It's also a lot easier to target named stars, etc.

Clear Skies!

#4 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:06 PM

I detest soft buttons for slewing. Can I still use the hand controller for slewing?
  • 25585 likes this

#5 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:54 PM

The handset is completely replaced, so no.  Just a suggestion...

#6 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:58 PM

The handset is completely replaced, so no.  Just a suggestion...

That's what I thought.  No advantage then.

• 25585 likes this

#7 Dlhudgens

Dlhudgens

Lift Off

• Loc: Rogersville, MO, USA

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for sharing. About a month ago, I bought a lightly used XT10g. Haven’t had an outing with it yet; weather won’t cooperate.

I have the same issue you do with the azimuth very difficult to move. Since I can’t get any Orion help for now due to COVID19, I decided to remove the azimuth cover and check out the gears and the tightness of the clutch(es). I was able to get a little bit of improvement in movement, but without some kind of instructions / support, I decided not to go further. 

I was able to have a chat session with an Orion rep. At the time the rep was working from home and did not have access to any information stored on their system. He did offer two options:

1) Wait until the stay home order is lifted and then get a repair order and ship it in for an estimate

2) There’s a slim chance a replacement of the bottom plates with encoder/motor could be purchased...but that gets sticky when you have purchased a used scope.

Please let me know how it goes when you get your replacement base. It would give me an indication of how useful a repair or replacement would be.  I hope it goes well for you. (I bought the XT10g to get tracking...not really interested in the full goto finder features. I like to do my own “hunting” and would use the tracking to keep me on target while making sketches, etc.)

#8 rowdy388

rowdy388

Soyuz

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:43 AM

I doubt the replacement base will operate much smoother. GoTo scopes IME just aren't

designed for manual operation unless they have a clutch, even if you are just doing it to

slew quickly across the sky. Hopefully, Orion knows of a way to adjust the mechanism to

soften movement instead of just sending you an off the shelf replacement. thinking1.gif 

#9 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:29 AM

As I was considering a X12G, I find the above worrying. An Intelliscope now seems more appealing!  

#10 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:34 AM

I detest soft buttons for slewing. Can I still use the hand controller for slewing?

You can if using Android/Bluetooth (hooked directly to the HC). I do this with my older Mounts and it works great.

#11 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:46 AM

As I was considering a X12G, I find the above worrying. An Intelliscope now seems more appealing!  

Stay tuned here as I'll post when I get the replacement.  My sense is that my original one was not assembled correctly (too tight in AZ).   

You could though, always go the truss tube route because they have clutches that you can loosen.   I didn't want a scope that large (yet) so that's why I chose the 10.

#12 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:51 PM

If you get the XX12g, it has clutches, and you don't have to worry about movement problems.

Though I should have added, the XX12g is much heavier than any of the other scopes mentioned, in case that's a factor.

Edited by outofsight, 03 April 2020 - 02:58 PM.

#13 Tank

Tank

Skylab

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:33 PM

Great scope Dave

I have a similar setup which i love

enjoy

#14 Dougeo

Dougeo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Apache Junction, AZ

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:48 PM

Congratulations on the new 10” Dob, you'll have many years of enjoyment ahead!

#15 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:10 PM

Photos...

IMG_7136.jpg

IMG_7137.jpg

IMG_7138.jpg

• Allan Wade, Bomber Bob and outofsight like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, equipment, mount, observing, optics, Orion, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics