•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Moon optical illusion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 L. Regira

L. Regira

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Theriot, LA 29' 42"N; 90.78W

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:23 PM

I was viewing the Straight Wall in my binoviewer when I noticed the craters south in the lunar highlands towards Clavius morophed from depressions into appearing like raised bumps.  I had seen these illusions in books before but not live at the telescope. It was much harder to see details and my mind was blown.laugh.gif 

Lawrence

• outofsight likes this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:28 AM

Yep! it is indeed ambiguous; geometrically, either interpretation is equally-valid from the data... depends on where our subconscious (needs to) assume from what direction the light is coming. Myriad such others. Like a spinning exponential spiral being mathematically identical to entering or leaving a helical screw. Or a slip/sliding accelerating airplane confounding an inexperienced pilot's sense of up and down... too often resulting in tragedy. Thankfully, Buzz Aldrin was supremely experienced!  Tom

~click on~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 43 footprint illusion.jpg

• L. Regira likes this

#3 GUS.K

GUS.K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Katoomba, NSW, Australia.

Posted 02 April 2020 - 03:25 AM

I see this illusion quite often when viewing the moon, most notably when I'm tired, I usually look away for a few seconds and it reverts back to normal.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics