•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS), stack and video

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shlomi

Shlomi

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:42 PM

I took about 2:30 hours of data on the comet, using a mono camera. Did each filter for 100 frames, 30 sec each, which made the image come out pretty colorful. I could re-stack to make the stars have proper colors, but I kinda like the disco-style result breakdancing.gif

The subs came out pretty noisy, and getting a proper video was a bit of a challenge, especially due to compression. The low SNR in the individual shots made any kind of compression butcher the video quality. I attempted to overcome this by making a fancy zoom in and out effect, it made the video just a bit better.

Processing was interesting. I just started messing around with PI, so this is my first take at using it. I got slightly impatient, so I used familiar tools for this, but will probably reprocess this appropriately when my PI-chi is improved. 

Here is my convoluted processing for this image:

1. Calibrated subs with flats (20), dark flats(20) and darks(100) for each channel using good old APP
2. Stacked in DSS, comet alignment, because APP does not yet have that option. However I could not figure out how to align all channels on the same ref frame

3. LinearFit in PI

4. Channel Alignment manually done in GIMP

5. Crop and DBE and Color Combination in PI again

6. Video composed with Blender to emit images, and PIPP to turn images into a video (way faster than blender, and the video looks better)

Final_Cropped_DBE-2.jpg

https://www.youtube....h?v=YwepwBWQxHc

Good learning experience, so much more to go 📚

Thanks for looking!

• R Botero, elmiko, WarmWeatherGuy and 1 other like this

#2 Tdesert63

Tdesert63

Vostok 1

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:32 AM

Looks good to me, did I see the tail flickering? Also like the prism stars colors

#3 Tdesert63

Tdesert63

Vostok 1

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:32 AM

Looks good to me, did I see the tail flickering? Also like the prism stars colors

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics