I took about 2:30 hours of data on the comet, using a mono camera. Did each filter for 100 frames, 30 sec each, which made the image come out pretty colorful. I could re-stack to make the stars have proper colors, but I kinda like the disco-style result
The subs came out pretty noisy, and getting a proper video was a bit of a challenge, especially due to compression. The low SNR in the individual shots made any kind of compression butcher the video quality. I attempted to overcome this by making a fancy zoom in and out effect, it made the video just a bit better.
Processing was interesting. I just started messing around with PI, so this is my first take at using it. I got slightly impatient, so I used familiar tools for this, but will probably reprocess this appropriately when my PI-chi is improved.
Here is my convoluted processing for this image:
1. Calibrated subs with flats (20), dark flats(20) and darks(100) for each channel using good old APP
2. Stacked in DSS, comet alignment, because APP does not yet have that option. However I could not figure out how to align all channels on the same ref frame
3. LinearFit in PI
4. Channel Alignment manually done in GIMP
5. Crop and DBE and Color Combination in PI again
6. Video composed with Blender to emit images, and PIPP to turn images into a video (way faster than blender, and the video looks better)
Good learning experience, so much more to go 📚
Thanks for looking!