•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pinwheel at 1280mm FL

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Skyshooter

Skyshooter

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: S. Utah, U.S.A.

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:38 AM

This image was taken after I wasted one night adjusting the back focus on my ASI294mc pro with my

C8 celestron.I hadn't planned on taking the image due to a first quarter moon and some high cirrus.

I started my subs just to check focus. The clouds cleared, I set APT to take 60 3 min. subs and I went to bed !

I'm hoping I have back focus close. Surprised I got anything usable with the moon pounding away.

Bortle 5 skies - 2 hours 39 mins. total

53 x 180" lights - 15 darks - 25 flats -25 dark flats -15C - gain 120

Cheers...

-Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• March_2020_M101.jpg

• elmiko, nicknacknock and namh like this

#2 Frankscope

Frankscope

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:08 AM

Very nice, luckily the moon is not too close to the Pinwheel right now. Still, your image looks similar to a moonless image I took recently from a bortle 5 "dark site" (bortle 8 at home). 

This makes me wonder if it is still worth going to a dark site while the moon is at half phase. As long as it does not exceed the light pollution in the section of sky being imaged there should not be an issue.

What guiding method/equipment are you employing?

-Frank

#3 Skyshooter

Skyshooter

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: S. Utah, U.S.A.

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:41 AM

Hi Frank. I was quite surprised the moon didn't interfere more than it did. Nothing exotic over here. Just using a Losmandy GM8 gemini2 mount.

I'm guiding with a WO Zenithstar 66 which is a 388mm FL refractor mounted piggyback on the C8. I'm using PHD2 to guide and an old Orion

Starshoot autoguider. I just recently started using the C8 with .63 reducer for galaxy season. The 294 camera is new to me, got it for Christmas.

When I moved it over to the C8 with reducer I had issues with finding correct back focus. Wasted most of one whole evening. I got lucky that the

next evening was relatively clear but the moon was even more of an issue. After checking focus I just let it go, hoping I might get something.

By the way, I revamped the image a little. This time I was more lucid when doing the processing... Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails

• March_2020_M101.jpg

Edited by Skyshooter, 02 April 2020 - 04:41 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics