•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi fc100dz, 100dl or fs102

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#76 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:24 PM

Mike,
How will you define the point in time that you "got away with it"? Two years from now she might say, "When did you get that scope? It's different than the one that you used to have".
  • mikeDnight likes this

#77 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:51 PM

Is that frost on those telescope tubes?

Yes, those are frost on the tubes lol.gif

#78 StarDust1

StarDust1

Viking 1

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:57 PM

I'm blaming Daniel M for my turmoil. There is a DC in the next town, so I can invite its owner to the DC, TSA, DZ compare later in the year. I'm thinking around the time of the Perseids in August, as in my mind that's the start of a new astro season with the dark nights beginning to draw in. I've already invited Roger and he's accepted. Should be a good night! bigshock.gif

I've attached my last sketch made with the DC. No idea why its on its side! I'm really missing it, and my DZ won't arrive until around the 20th. 

attachicon.gifIMG_5871.JPG

That's a beautiful drawing Mike!

Looking forward to your first light.

I blame Daniel M and Erik Bakker for the FS-102NSV grin.gif As I was really happy with the FC-100DC. I still miss that little gem...

• payner and mikeDnight like this

#79 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:16 PM

I will probably sell my FS102 to help pay for the DZ. However, I want to do some comparisons between the two before I do. The DZ should be better, but I want to confirm that to myself. I had to declare to my wife that the DZ would be the last telescope that I would ever buy. So it had better be a great one!

fingerscrossed.gif

#80 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• Loc: Wild Wild West - North West England

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:36 PM

Mike,
How will you define the point in time that you "got away with it"? Two years from now she might say, "When did you get that scope? It's different than the one that you used to have".

I've no idea!  I've got this annoying leaning towards honesty, even though it may be painful. After 40 years together, she can read my every thought. 

• m9x18 likes this

#81 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:41 PM

Guys, I'm real sorry for not chiming in lately and not responding to several messages on this topic regarding the scopes in this OP. Just a crazy time and some of us are working from home and emotions are flying. We also just finished the NEAF weekend and I had to conduct a live video regarding these scopes. Regardless, I wanted to offer some thoughts because some had asked if I felt it was worth changing from the DL,DF, DC and FS to the DZ. This is just my personal opinion if others may be interested. IMHO, the DZ is a benchmark that obviously appears to perform in ways I did not expect. It's just strange to see a doublet out of focus and see no color. So, you get all the benefits of a doublet with all the color correction of the finest triplets. It's also strange that the tone is white. 

Is it worth changing? It's hard to say. If an observer is adamant that they just don't want to see even the most trifling amount of color, then it may be worth the change. For me, I find that the performance of my FS, and FC's are quite beautiful as well, so I'm satisfied where I'm at personally. OTHO, some enthusiasts feel compelled to try new things and so it may be worth the jump. The scopes I keep in hand are carefully selected, so for me, I tend to be quite content with what I have. I'm sorry I don't have a more direct answer and that's mostly because I really think these are all quite nice scopes. If you want pure white, no color at all, then the DZ offers that. 

You guys know from my past that I'm mostly all about optical figure but at these levels there's really not much worth worrying about. Hope you guys are all getting out as much as you can. I miss the shootouts. 

Steady skies to you all !

---drD

• RogerLaureys, paul, coopman and 16 others like this

#82 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

Thanks, Daniel.  Your input means a lot to us. 

• Daniel Mounsey likes this

#83 m9x18

m9x18

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Abilene, Texas USA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:46 PM

I've no idea!  I've got this annoying leaning towards honesty, even though it may be painful. After 40 years together, she can read my every thought

And don't forget, she can also predict your every move! Heh heh!

• mikeDnight likes this

#84 laedco58

laedco58

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sandstone Minnesota

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:03 AM

When I made up my mind that I wanted a 100 mm fluorite Tak, I was drawn to the DL because of the longer focal length. While collecting my pennies for the purchase,  the DL’s went in and out of production a time or two. When the DZ was announced, I decided if a DL was not available when I was ready to make my purchase I would go in that direction.  I recently scored a used DL with a 6x50 finder, clamshell and dovetail plate, at a considerable savings over a new DL or DZ without any accessories, so I went that route. After 3 sessions under the stars I am very pleased with my new to me DL.  I recently scored a smoking deal on a lightly used 1.6 extender Q to use with it as well, but alas, it shipped with a weeks worth of clouds, and I haven’t had the opportunity to observe with it yet.

• coopman, John Huntley, payner and 5 others like this

#85 m9x18

m9x18

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Abilene, Texas USA

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:14 PM

Other than the clouds, you ended up with a great deal there! Congratulations! 

#86 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Apollo

• Loc: Wild Wild West - North West England

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:20 PM

When I made up my mind that I wanted a 100 mm fluorite Tak, I was drawn to the DL because of the longer focal length. While collecting my pennies for the purchase,  the DL’s went in and out of production a time or two. When the DZ was announced, I decided if a DL was not available when I was ready to make my purchase I would go in that direction.  I recently scored a used DL with a 6x50 finder, clamshell and dovetail plate, at a considerable savings over a new DL or DZ without any accessories, so I went that route. After 3 sessions under the stars I am very pleased with my new to me DL.  I recently scored a smoking deal on a lightly used 1.6 extender Q to use with it as well, but alas, it shipped with a weeks worth of clouds, and I haven’t had the opportunity to observe with it yet.

You'll love the extender Q. I've lost count of the image amplifiers I've used, but I know that nothing I've ever used has been as transparent and pure as the 1.6X Q. 

• 25585 likes this

#87 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:50 PM

Mike,

If Takahashi's information is to be believed the Takahashi QE 1.6X extender is much more than just a Takahashi quality telecentric amplifier. The TKA36595 QE1.6X also flattens the image improving spherical and chromatic aberrations much like the other Takahashi Q modules used on the FS-60Q and FOA-60Q and pushes the FC-100DL correction into TOA territory. I know it worked wonders to the little Takahashi FS-60Q which is a stunning system at f/10 and 600mm focal length. Stars are pinpoints across the field at high magnification and there is no CA to be seen maybe less than even the FC-100DL which I'm still amazed by. 

• mikeDnight and 25585 like this

#88 fate187

fate187

Ranger 4

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 09 April 2020 - 04:05 PM

I'm blaming Daniel M for my turmoil. There is a DC in the next town, so I can invite its owner to the DC, TSA, DZ compare later in the year. I'm thinking around the time of the Perseids in August, as in my mind that's the start of a new astro season with the dark nights beginning to draw in. I've already invited Roger and he's accepted. Should be a good night! bigshock.gif

I've attached my last sketch made with the DC. No idea why its on its side! I'm really missing it, and my DZ won't arrive u ntill around the 20th. 

attachicon.gifIMG_5902.JPG

Wow, beautiful drawing. I also like your hand writing bow.gifwaytogo.gif

• mikeDnight likes this

#89 marcus_z

marcus_z

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Germany

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:36 PM

Takahashi only made 200 pieces of the DL per every report I've seen. Could it be that you are misinterpreting whatever number you are looking at? 

The serial number is, 9C111 what would be your interpretation?

#90 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:13 PM

The serial number is, 9C111 what would be your interpretation?

My guess based on the new numbering system Takahashi adopted a few years ago is that your scope with the number 9C111 was the 111th scope of any type produced in the year 2017. The numbers for a particular lens line no longer seem to be sequential any more. Numbers are assigned as optical tubes are assembled and whatever unit number produced at that point in time regardless of telescope line is what is assigned. That's the popular thinking after the change.  

#91 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:06 PM

The guy in the brown truck delivered a DZ to me this afternoon.  Now if I could just wish the full moon and the clouds away for a first light.  Sigh....

• m9x18, MJB, mikeDnight and 1 other like this

#92 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:13 PM

The guy in the brown truck delivered a DZ to me this afternoon.  Now if I could just wish the full moon and the clouds away for a first light.  Sigh....

I'm happy for you, mine is always at the border.

• mikeDnight likes this

#93 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:57 PM

I'm happy for you, mine is always at the border.

What do you mean? Is it tied-up in customs?

#94 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:22 PM

What do you mean? Is it tied-up in customs?

He's been there for a week, the guy in the brown truck as you say, say these aren't a priority package right now because of covid-19. so I'm waiting.

#95 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:40 PM

Well I hope that you will get it real soon.
  • sunnyday likes this

#96 bockos

bockos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:28 PM

Congratulations on the new 100DZ!

How the planetary pefrormance of FC100DZ is compared to the FS102?

Edited by bockos, 09 April 2020 - 10:28 PM.

• paul likes this

#97 bockos

bockos

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2020 - 04:42 AM

I also read that the view through the FS looked more vibrated and the colors looked more saturated in comparsion with DL or DZ, what is the reason for this, is this connected with the different position of the fluorite lens design in FS and DL/DZ? Thanks in advance!

#98 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 April 2020 - 08:52 AM

Bockos, do you have link(s) to the article(s) where you read these things?

Edited by coopman, 12 April 2020 - 08:52 AM.

#99 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

Posted 12 April 2020 - 09:30 AM

You dirty rat! So you were the lucky guy who snagged that one! Gotta keep looking I guess. I'm looking forward to your field report. 

#100 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

Posted 12 April 2020 - 09:36 AM

You have to learn to not think like that. Think, OMG the clouds are gone and the moon is up, I'll go exploring the moon's surface while I can. Or, I always wanted to see just how good this DZ is corrected, and go testing on the limb. Or I wonder how much mag I can squeeze out of this thing without breaking down? 

I mean the last time I bought a scope there was nothing but clouds for a month! I'd make lemonade before the lemons go bad.

• mikeDnight likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics