•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbies - what did you see in the sky last night? Come say hello...

• Please log in to reply
1825 replies to this topic

#1826 laurelg9

laurelg9

Mariner 2

• Loc: Dayton, OH, USA

Posted Today, 10:54 PM

I'm busy, really busy, with my real life. I've got a kid who's a senior in high school, and I do pit crew for his marching band and coach the HS Science Olympiad team. Both seasons are starting up, and on top of that, all the senior year stuff. I don't have time, especially on weekend evenings.

Tonight after marching band, around eleven, I went out to take a peek at the moon.  I stumbled quite by accident by "some star cluster" I could see in my finder, even though it was just above the gibbous moon. I looked at it at low power and ---- you know, it looked familiar, but I couldn't place it. Weird trapezium shape with the tiny double star in the middle. I had to go in and get my phone to see on the app what it was. I rediscovered the Pleiades! Last winter when I started getting much more serious about astronomy (pandemic'd), the Pleiades were the first cluster beyond Orion I could reliably find. I sketched them a couple of times. I learned how it's the most ancient mythological star shape there is. And then, as it happens, it sunk below the western horizon and I lost touch. But tonight I found it again, over on the eastern horizon, in the hour before midnight.  

I have really appreciated getting back into this hobby, and, I appreciate the money I would have spent on commuting and whatnot getting spent somewhat obsessively on astronomy gear on CN, lol, especially now that I'm commuting again. I was tickled pink to "find" the pleiades (and whatever funny cluster that looks like a question mark by it, and the moon, and jupiter and the three moons I could see) tonight. Made me happy. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics