•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Set Track Rates in TheSky X Pro & Serious?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: -105 +39

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:56 PM

I've asked on the Bisque TSX SAE forum but gotten no answer.  I guess they have the virus.

So does anyone know if the Set Tracking Rate function for Solar system object tracking works in the TSX Serious edition or just in the Pro version?  I'm using the SAE (Mac) but not getting a dialogue box asking to use the Object tracking rate for comets, Sun, Moon etc.  Nothing I can find in the manual says its Pro only. 

Edited by Ron359, 03 April 2020 - 02:57 PM.

#2 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Apollo

• Loc: Somewhere in Space

Posted 04 April 2020 - 01:22 PM

In the copy of the manual I have, it's the TheSkyX Professional and Serious Astronomer Edition User Guide, so I'd assume it'd be for both.

Are you using a Bisque mount?

Edited by iwannabswiss, 04 April 2020 - 01:26 PM.

#3 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:52 PM

In the copy of the manual I have, it's the TheSkyX Professional and Serious Astronomer Edition User Guide, so I'd assume it'd be for both.

Are you using a Bisque mount?

Thanks.  I'm using an Orion HDX110 using the EQmod driver in TSX.   I've since been searching in the Bisque forum history and found one ref several years old when Tom said it was Pro only.  The latest manual (just out)  seems to identify those features that are Pro only,  and it doesn't seem to say its Pro only that I could find.  So, still not clear if it is. Until I get an actual yes/no answer from the Bisques, since its not coming up with the dialogue box I'll have to presume its Pro only.  

I also see they've really jacked up their yearly subscription price on the Pro version so pretty unlikely its the worth any upgrade for me.  

#4 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:39 AM

Is Eqmod an ASCOM interface? One way you can check if TheSlyX supports solar system object tracking rates is to start it up, connect to the ASCOM telescope simulator, with ASCOM logging turned on, and then look in the log file for the message where TheSkyX tells the mount to change tracking rates. One of the first things TheSkyX does when a connect event happens is that it queries the mount for it's list of tracking rates. Fyi if that list is returned wrong, it crashes TheSkyX.

#5 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:38 PM

Is Eqmod an ASCOM interface? One way you can check if TheSlyX supports solar system object tracking rates is to start it up, connect to the ASCOM telescope simulator, with ASCOM logging turned on, and then look in the log file for the message where TheSkyX tells the mount to change tracking rates. One of the first things TheSkyX does when a connect event happens is that it queries the mount for it's list of tracking rates. Fyi if that list is returned wrong, it crashes TheSkyX.

Thanks. no ASCOM does not work on a Mac.  On Win, EQmod does work through ASCOM.  TSX has the EQ mod driver in its Telescope setup to connect directly.  If it were changing speed it would indicate different tracking speed in the Telescope connection, but it only indicates sidereal rate.  I'll be trying PHD2 comet tracking and I think rates can be changed in EKOS/INDI but am just 'learning the ropes' with that sofware. 

#6 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:56 PM

PHD2 cannot change tracking rates AFAK I've requested that this feature be added to support adaptive variable rate guiding. In comet mode it sends guide pulses to effectively create variable tracking rates. Are you trying to track a comet or a planet or ? I am on my phone so it doesn't show your equipment list and computer type. The PHD method should work well for comets.

#7 Ron359

Ron359

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:45 PM

PHD2 cannot change tracking rates AFAK I've requested that this feature be added to support adaptive variable rate guiding. In comet mode it sends guide pulses to effectively create variable tracking rates. Are you trying to track a comet or a planet or ? I am on my phone so it doesn't show your equipment list and computer type. The PHD method should work well for comets.

I'm mainly interested in the diff tracking rates for comets or asteroids.  But would be 'nice', and seems 'standard' that lunar and solar rates would work.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics