•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I don’t understand the allure of SFT or RFT

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

• Loc: Clinton, TN

Posted 04 April 2020 - 11:51 AM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer!

I am now tempted to buy or make an SFT. I definitely can see the value in being able to hold a telescope in hand and also be able to change the ep when I want to go to a higher mag.

Jon Isaacs - thanks for the tip about sweeping the AD12 with a 31mm ep. I have a 30mm and a 40mm (not a Nagler), but never took the time to do that! Will definitely do that next time I have clear skies. 

To me, the sheer amount of stars that you can see in a large aperture instrument at its lowest (or close to) power is much more rewarding and memorable than zooming in on a single object for hours on end. But I will say that the Sagittarius star clouds are definitely their own form of specialness thru a 25x100 or a 28x110.

Edited by aa5te, 04 April 2020 - 10:59 PM.

• gene 4181 and sunrag like this

#27 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:44 PM

Being a big fan of binoviewing, I much prefer binoculars for rich field observing. To me, the benefits of binocular summation make observing more relaxed and enjoyable.

I also had 25x100 binoculars when I lived in a dark sky location.  If I were to be in that situation again I would get the 100mm or 120mm binocular telescope with interchangeable eyepieces from APM. That, combined with a good Dob reflector is all I would need for deep sky.

CM

Edited by contrailmaker, 04 April 2020 - 05:55 PM.

• Allan Wade likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics