•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rima Hyginus, Triesnecker area. Apr 1st 2020

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wouter D'hoye

Wouter D'hoye

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:27 PM

Hi,

Not a big mosaic, I don't make those every night 😉. Nonteheless a high res image of the Rima hyginus, Triesnecker area. the depressions in Rima Hyginus are well resolved, as are many tiny craters next too it. Some of those around or even less than 1km. Inspecting and measuring using the LROC quickmap showed me that resolution is in the ballpark of 700m. 

Click thumbnail for the real thing.

get.jpg?insecure

enjoy. 

CC welcome.

Wouter.

• Kenny V., BoldAxis1967, photomagica and 5 others like this

#2 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:59 PM

That is a very nicely captured and processed image Wouter!  I find numerous craters resolved in the 1km range, so I have no doubt there are some sub 1km craters in there if the crater is more defined.  I know it can be a bit nebulous to define where a crater is 'resolved' and where one is detected; however, it is readily apparent to me that your image is more resolute than my own from that evening.  So good job using up the additional aperture!  Cracking the 1km crater resolution limit is very rare.

Even with the enlarged scale, I would say the image stays nice and clean, so that is also very good.

• Wouter D'hoye likes this

#3 BoldAxis1967

BoldAxis1967

Viking 1

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 03 April 2020 - 04:28 PM

The craterlets shown within the Hyginus rille is outstanding! Wow!

L.

• Wouter D'hoye likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics