•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron CGX-L dimensions question

Celestron equipment mount
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob.Redshift

Jacob.Redshift

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2020 - 03:40 PM

Hi All,

I’m trying to find out the overall footprint of the cgx-l mount—specifically with the counterbalance shaft at one end and a c14 attached on the head when it is slewed in a horizontal position (so maximum horizontal footprint).

I already searched for a white paper on the mount, without finding it. And I contacted celestron, who sent me a white paper, but I don’t see any spec on the counterbalance shaft length (unless I missed it somehow).

I have attached the white paper here anyway to add to our knowledge base in case someone else may need other parts of the mount spec’d.

Can anyone give me some numbers within a couple inches? 

Thanks!

#2 DuncanM

DuncanM

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 03 April 2020 - 04:07 PM

Hi All,

I’m trying to find out the overall footprint of the cgx-l mount—specifically with the counterbalance shaft at one end and a c14 attached on the head when it is slewed in a horizontal position (so maximum horizontal footprint).

I already searched for a white paper on the mount, without finding it. And I contacted celestron, who sent me a white paper, but I don’t see any spec on the counterbalance shaft length (unless I missed it somehow).

I have attached the white paper here anyway to add to our knowledge base in case someone else may need other parts of the mount spec’d.

Can anyone give me some numbers within a couple inches? 

Thanks!

I used the measurements on the mount dimension picture for scale and got 410mm for the CW shaft, which is just just over 16in.

• Jacob.Redshift likes this

#3 Barriles

Barriles

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: White Salmon, Washington, USA

Posted 03 April 2020 - 04:31 PM

Hello JR.   I measured my CGXL and C8 from tip of the CW shaft to the top of the OTA at 40 inches +/- 0.5.  With my star sense mounted on top, a little to one side, it added 4 inches.  Youll have to subtract the C8 diameter from 40, then add in the C14 diameter.  Hope this helps.

steve

• Jacob.Redshift likes this

#4 Jacob.Redshift

Jacob.Redshift

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 11:15 PM

Thanks so much! I appreciate your efforts DuncanM and Barriles!

Looks like the bar plus mount head is 30”, plus the telescope diameter.

The c14 is 16” wide, plus the mounting bar and finder scope, though the finder can be moved.

So I’m looking at about 47” plus the finder scope.

I have what I need now.

Thanks, again!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, equipment, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics