•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AP Stowaway #328

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 steven40

steven40

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:24 PM

Hi Folks,

These days have been difficult, to make an understatement. But today AP Stowaway #328 arrived at my house.

More importantly, my son, a first year resident in Rochester has been diagnosed with Corona after working with a patient who also tested positive. As I was opening up the Stowaway he called to tell me that he was feeling excellent and would be going back to work in a few days.

I wish you all the very best for you and your families; I was very fortunate today.

Steve

• Paul G, Paul Hyndman, rustynpp and 28 others like this

#2 kkt

kkt

Soyuz

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:26 PM

Hi Folks,

These days have been difficult, to make an understatement. But today AP Stowaway #328 arrived at my house.

More importantly, my son, a first year resident in Rochester has been diagnosed with Corona after working with a patient who also tested positive. As I was opening up the Stowaway he called to tell me that he was feeling excellent and would be going back to work in a few days.

I wish you all the very best for you and your families; I was very fortunate today.

Steve

Congratulations on the Stowaway and best wishes to your son!  Glad he's feeling better.

Edited by kkt, 03 April 2020 - 05:26 PM.

#3 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:48 PM

Congratulations on both regards! Good news all around. 

• jimandlaura26 likes this

#4 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:20 PM

Excellent news! Now, pictures please rulez.gif rulez.gif rulez.gif

#5 sanbai

sanbai

Ranger 4

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 03 April 2020 - 07:26 PM

As said by others, congratulacions and all the best for you and the family.
These days should remind us not only how wise is to save and get prepared for whatever, but also how important is to enjoy life. Clear skies to you.

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:15 AM

Glad to hear you got so fortunate Steve!

Stay safe and healthy. That wonderful scope should help you in doing that.

#7 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:50 AM

Well done Steve. I got #299 last week and I’m imaging the Sun in Ha with it right now. Mighty scope!

Best wishes to you and your son. 

Roberto

• Paul G and Paul Morow like this

#8 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:50 AM

Steve, it’s nice to hear about your new scope, but even better to hear that your son is doing well. :ubetcha:

• jtpowers likes this

#9 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:07 AM

Well done Steve. I got #299 last week and I’m imaging the Sun in Ha with it right now. Mighty scope!

Best wishes to you and your son. 

Roberto

Roberto - any chance you are using a Solarscope filter set with your Stowaway?  My Stowaway hasn't shipped yet (Rolando has it in the queue) and I'd eventually like to use with my SF-70 filters; I need to figure out a suitable threaded adapter. If the new owner of Solarscope can't help I guess I can try Precision Parts with some filter thread info from A-P....

Steve - all best to your son who is stepping off the front lines for now, hoping him a speedy recovery and best wishes that he will soon be able to share some views with you through #328.  We owe health care professionals like your son an enormous debt of gratitude and we still have a long way to go.

Doug

Edited by Doug D., 04 April 2020 - 10:25 AM.

#10 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 04 April 2020 - 11:58 AM

Double lucky Steve. If there is immunity, your son is 1 less family to worry about. And you have a great scope to cherish and enjoy.  

#11 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 05 April 2020 - 01:13 AM

Roberto - any chance you are using a Solarscope filter set with your Stowaway?  My Stowaway hasn't shipped yet (Rolando has it in the queue) and I'd eventually like to use with my SF-70 filters; I need to figure out a suitable threaded adapter. If the new owner of Solarscope can't help I guess I can try Precision Parts with some filter thread info from A-P....

Doug

Hi Doug

Happy if you want to PM but I machine my own adaptors for my telescopes (could not afford importing from Precise Parts any more though good as they are...). Yesterday I was using a double stacked front mounted etalon by Coronado; It is not a screw-on ring but a collar that slides onto the dew shield and attaches by using three nylon point screws. Since I’m not slewing the scope around much, it is safe enough. I used a similar arrangement with my Telemator here: https://www.cloudyni...ners/?p=9565148

Roberto

Edited by R Botero, 05 April 2020 - 01:18 AM.

• Doug D. likes this

#12 Nippon

Nippon

Gemini

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:33 PM

Absolutely wonderful news about your son! The doctors, nurses and health care workers are real heroes. Oh and by the way nice scope and you can actually enjoy it's distraction now that your son is well and hopefully has antibodies.

• mrsjeff likes this

#13 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 04:17 PM

Hi Doug

Happy if you want to PM but I machine my own adaptors for my telescopes (could not afford importing from Precise Parts any more though good as they are...). Yesterday I was using a double stacked front mounted etalon by Coronado; It is not a screw-on ring but a collar that slides onto the dew shield and attaches by using three nylon point screws. Since I’m not slewing the scope around much, it is safe enough. I used a similar arrangement with my Telemator here: https://www.cloudyni...ners/?p=9565148

Roberto

Here's the adapter Coronado used to provide, as seen on my 90/90/30 Traveler setup at NEAF:

Attached Thumbnails

• cropped.jpg

• Doug D., R Botero, SkyRanger and 2 others like this

#14 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:13 AM

Paul

Thank you for this. Again, a collar/compression ring is enough it seems; no need for a full coupling ring. 

Roberto

#15 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:27 PM

Paul

Thank you for this. Again, a collar/compression ring is enough it seems; no need for a full coupling ring. 

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

I Found my setup worked best when the filters were closest to the objective (perhaps being less susceptible to tilt errors?) but when the dewshield was retracted there was a noticeable wobble. A mechanically adept friend helped me to correct that by fitting a stabilizer ring around the OTA at the point the shield rests in the retracted position.

Enjoy!

Paul

Attached Thumbnails

• ha-filter1.gif
  • ha-filter2.gif

• Doug D. likes this

#16 Doug D.

Doug D.

Gemini

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:00 PM

Roberto and Paul - thanks for posting those solutions.  Solarscope also use to offer an adapter like the one you are using to mate their filters to the Traveler.  I've gotten pretty spoiled using my SF70s with a Solarscope adapter that threads onto the front of my TV76 (I also have a threaded adapter for the TV85). You can see my TV76 and DS SF70s in the attached photo.  Ideally, I'd like the same secure connection on my Stowaway.

As I understand it, the tube on the Stowaway dew shield is also threaded.  There was a post in the AP-UG from George at A-P a while back.  He gave the thread and pitch needed to make it custom  (Dew Shield Ring – 4.388”- 24 x 0.20” long female thread: male thread - 4.374” x 24).  Of course, I also have to figure out the thread size on the SF70 side but hopefully I can get that info from Solarscope and maybe they are still making adapters.  I'll probably wait until I've got the scope in my hands before I move on having an adapter made (dew shied screw-on or like Paul's).  The worst that can happen I guess is that I just keep using the TV76 for H-alpha.  

DSC01241.JPG

• Paul Hyndman, eros312, Paul Morow and 2 others like this

#17 gjanke

gjanke

Ranger 4

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:27 PM

As I understand it, the tube on the Stowaway dew shield is also threaded.  There was a post in the AP-UG from George at A-P a while back.  He gave the thread and pitch needed to make it custom  (Dew Shield Ring – 4.388”- 24 x 0.20” long female thread: male thread - 4.374” x 24).  Of course, I also have to figure out the thread size on the SF70 side but hopefully I can get that info from Solarscope and maybe they are still making adapters.  I'll probably wait until I've got the scope in my hands before I move on having an adapter made (dew shied screw-on or like Paul's).  The worst that can happen I guess is that I just keep using the TV76 for H-alpha.  

attachicon.gifDSC01241.JPG

This is a place that makes all sorts of adapters for telescopes.

https://www.precisep...ain//index.html

You're right there are worst things that could happen!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4391.jpg

Edited by gjanke, 06 April 2020 - 10:28 PM.

• Doug D. and eros312 like this

#18 BCNGreyCat

BCNGreyCat

Mariner 2

• Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 06 April 2020 - 11:46 PM

As I understand it, the tube on the Stowaway dew shield is also threaded. There was a post in the AP-UG from George at A-P a while back. He gave the thread and pitch needed to make it custom (Dew Shield Ring – 4.388”- 24 x 0.20” long female thread: male thread - 4.374” x 24). Of course, I also have to figure out the thread size on the SF70 side but hopefully I can get that info from Solarscope and maybe they are still making adapters. I'll probably wait until I've got the scope in my hands before I move on having an adapter made (dew shied screw-on or like Paul's). The worst that can happen I guess is that I just keep using the TV76 for H-alpha.

The front side retaining ring of the dew shield can be removed and expose a male thread. Then, you can make an adapter use this thread instead of nylon tip screws. The dewshield can be very secure locked in position by the end side compress ring.
  • Doug D. likes this

#19 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:55 AM

The front side retaining ring of the dew shield can be removed and expose a male thread. Then, you can make an adapter use this thread instead of nylon tip screws. The dewshield can be very secure locked in position by the end side compress ring.

Exactly; the dew shield for the Stowaway locks nicely with a thumbscrew and doesn’t move or wobble.

Roberto

Edited by R Botero, 08 April 2020 - 02:27 AM.

• Doug D. likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics