•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice on Building a Warm Room

observatory
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jrkirkham

jrkirkham

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:05 PM

I have a Skyshed POD on a deck about three and a half miles from home. I am considering adding a warm room near the observatory. I am considering a small garden shed. I am looking at an 8x12 Barn with two small lofts, a 6' door, and no windows. My thought is to turn the lofts into bunks for sleeping. On the ground floor I am considering a desk with a couple of folding chairs. I have a small heating system that runs off a 20 lb propane tank. I plan to keep it off grid, but may add solar power later. I do plan to eventually insulate. At first I just want to put the building up, then finish it off later.I plan to keep it small and on skids to make it easier to heat and to avoid property tax.

Before I move much more on this I thought I would write out my ideas and see what advice others may have. Does anyone have anything like that? If so, what do you like about it? What don't you like? What advice do you have? What would you do over?

#2 bridgman

bridgman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:43 AM

First thought would be to build it into an enclosed trailer rather than a garden shed if the other potential uses are interesting.

• jrkirkham likes this

#3 MHamburg

MHamburg

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:50 AM

Are your aims visual, astrophotography, or both? 

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• sized_PICT5007.JPG
  • sized_PICT5004.JPG
  • sized_PICT5011.JPG

• jrkirkham and wrnchhead like this

#4 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:10 AM

I'd put at least one window, and put a metal roll up shutter on it. Two would be better to at least get a cross breeze. I have a 12x12 warm room, it's more of a guest cabin, telescope control rooms are in each dome/ROR. 

• jrkirkham likes this

#5 jrkirkham

jrkirkham

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:51 AM

Thank you everyone. I found a good deal on a small 8'x12' garden shed on skids. It is shaped like a small barn with two 4' x 8' lofts. I plan to make bunks out of the lofts.  I plan to put two windows  in it for ventilation. I plan to insulate it and use a small propane heater. My plan is to use a solar panel and batteries to power the shed and SKyShed POD observatory next to it. I hope to make it something like Michael just posted. 

#6 MHamburg

MHamburg

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:00 PM

I also made an insulated door "airlock" connecting the warm room and the dome room. Just have to watch your head.smash.gif

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• sized_PICT4979.JPG

• Starman27 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics