•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Classic 8 - Replacement Finderscope & Mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Faraway

Faraway

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: A white zone

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:36 PM

Hello,

I bought a Classic 8 off of Craigslist last year, and unfortunately it turned out to be a bit of a lemon.  The mount, which already came with damaged leg clamps, failed completely at the base after just a few uses in the grass.

Does anyone know if there are any other mounts around $200-300 that may work with this fellow?  Even if I could find an original mount, I would prefer to replace it with something more durable.

#2 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 04 April 2020 - 01:05 AM

Some photos of the scope/mount/tripod, and the scope's serial number (for possibly dating it), would help.  grin.gif

#3 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:12 AM

You can search through "Uncle Rod's Used CAT Buyer's Guide" (  https://skywatch.bra...ed/used_sct.pdf ) to get an idea of its date.

#4 jallbery

jallbery

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:18 AM

The Classic 8 was introduced in the early 90s and replaced by the Celestar 8 in the mid 90s.  It is a equatorial fork-mounted telescope.  The base of the fork mount attaches to a wedge, which is set according to your latitude, and together, the two compensate for the Earth's rotation.  The wedge is attached to a tripod.

It sounds like you only have a tripod problem. 

If that is correct, the Classic 8 fork mount and wedge will attach to any Celestron 8" SCT tripod from the 70s (orange tube), through the end of the 90s, right up to the advent of the first Nexstar goto scopes.   The fork will also attach to a Celestar Wedgepod (a tripod with an integral wedge).  The Classic 8 wedge will also attach to the standard Meade field tripod for pre-goto Meade scopes, provided you remove the center pin.

Alternatively, if you "defork" the Classic 8 OTA (optical tube assembly)  and add a Vixen dovetail bar, you can use the  Classic 8 optical tube on the current Evolution and Nexstar 6/8 SE mounts, or any mount that accepts a vixen dovetail, including the Celestron AVX and many other GEM mounts.  A "D"/Losmandy (or what Celestron calls "CGE") dovetail allows you to mount the OTA on many larger GEMs.

My Classic 8 tripod was relegated to the scrap pile long ago and replaced by a Meade field tripod.

#5 jallbery

jallbery

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:33 PM

Oh.... As far as a finder scope is concerned,  that's very much a personal preference thing.  Some people love right angle finders, others hate them.    Some people love telrads.  Some people don't.

"Scopehead" generally had some bargains on eBay, and I'm sure he could help you select an appropriate bracket for an 8" sct.  

You can get a finder shoe with sct screw spacing, and it will allow you to swap finders.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics