•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help in bracket making

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:18 AM

I need to pick a few brains here. I am fitting/making hardware for my old Mayflower 76mm EQ mount to an electric vintage RA Motor drive. What is the best metal for this, I can cut it, drill the holes, but it needs to be able to twist 90 degrees.

OK beside the question asked, (an actual question), I am worried for my friends, especially those of you on the coasts! It doesn't matter which Political party you follow, your color of skin, language you speak, or who you choose to be a life partner with.

In the past 10 years, I have dealt with life or death health issues. YOU WERE there for me!!.

I just cannot imagine my life without you in it. I haven't met most of you face to face, but I have learned from each and every one of you, ESPECIALLY the Incredible Inductive reasoning skills and problem solving gems you have shared in the "What Did you Do to your Scope/Mount today" thread here in the classics!  The knowledge base here is the greatest I have ever known, and that is including my other hobbies, Music, Photography, RC Airplanes, Art, MGB Roadsters etc, I am asking you PLEASE be safe.

I just cannot imagine my World without you in it. This World would loose the knowledge base and the PRACTICAL knowledge, that can never be duplicated!

Thank you all, I am thinking about you, I am sure you have the same feelings.. Now please help me with my question???

Here's to: "The Morning After".

My Love to all,

Duane

Edited by orion61, 04 April 2020 - 02:44 PM.

• tim53 and Terra Nova like this

#2 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:33 AM

I too hope all the great folks here making it safely thru these troubling times.

I'm no expert but I'd say it needs to be steel.

Brass might be too soft to hold it's shape and aluminum will break if bent or twisted.

A more experienced (machinist), will likely chime in.

Perhaps a photo of a similar example of the drive bracket you're making would help.

Edited by Kasmos, 04 April 2020 - 12:33 AM.

• orion61 likes this

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:41 AM

Hi Duane - aluminium is fine for bending 90° & drilling etc...you should be able to purchase it at a lot of hardware outlets in various forms & sizes...sheet, flat bar etc, etc.

3003 or 6063 are the easiest/best to do with this but I have found the stock alloy that comes in flat bar 10-12mm (approx. 1/2") by 2mm thick or so is an ideal type for doing exactly what you wish to do...ie, brackets for motors. I have even put specific lateral twists into this flat stock for some of these to get exactly the right positioning/alignment. waytogo.gif

I've made several, mainly for a stepper motor drive for focusers, but the same principle - check my 4" Royal Astro Newt rebuild thread for one where I use a small section of angle ally to affix a motor - you might be able to do something with pre-existing shapes like that although I did bend the 90° to a greater inside angle there. Page #4, Post #78 of https://www.cloudyni...rebuild/page-4 

Stay safe, Darryl.

• orion61 likes this

#4 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:09 AM

McMaster-Carr has some brackets that you could adapt --  https://www.mcmaster...ets/brackets-2/

• orion61 likes this

#5 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:33 AM

Don’t know if this will help as the photos aren’t very close up or detailed of the motor mount but maybe of use. There is also a pic of the instruction sheet as well. 

https://astromart.co...ith-clock-drive

10 years ago I also mounted a drive to my Tasco 10TE-5 as well and had to make brackets and a coupler. This is what I did. Looks very similar to the original but impossible to find hardware/motor. Still have this setup and still working.

https://www.cloudyni...-drive-project/

Good luck with your project.

Edited by Compressorguy, 04 April 2020 - 06:35 AM.

• orion61 likes this

#6 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the replies, I've bookmarked the McMaster link, There are some brackets there that might work, plus available in finishes that will look decent. I really love my 58' Mayflower  refractor, at F-15 and nearly 80mm it gives tack sharp views that beat my Questar in Planetary and especially Lunar and Doubles study. and it is virtually color free, Some Young person got their favorite Christmas Present of all time back then. I just wonder how they could have ever given it up?

Cheers all be safe..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics