•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M51 - One year into AP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bacon

bacon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:02 AM

This is my first CN share!  One year into the hobby--it's been a dizzying spiral of course, from the first time I hooked up my DSLR to my 5SE and achieved focus on the Moon, then comet 46P/Wirtanen, M31, M42, M81...  Like many beginners I bit off more than I could chew with a large scope and modest mount combination, but every challenge and frustration has proved itself part of an extremely rewarding journey, no regrets.

In April '19 I dredged up a blotchy mess of an M81 long FL photo but was nonetheless proud of it.  Here's M51 12 months later with the same scope and mount:

get.jpg?insecure

Finding a proper black point has always eluded me; a light glow is nice and inviting, inky black is beautifully striking.  C&C welcome.

Thanks to the CN community for providing an invaluable resource. 

• elmiko, numchuck, clusterbuster and 4 others like this

#2 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:08 AM

Adam Block did a presentation today on the Woodland Hills Telescope YouTube channel (it was awesome) and he talked for a bit about the background level.

He showed one of his own shots, and asked what was "wrong" with it.  The background looked like yours, and that is what he was referencing.  

He then reminded everyone watching that it is art, and a creative decision.  Sometimes the "overly" dark background enhances the image, other times it doesn't.

I think you nailed it here!  Great shot.

#3 bacon

bacon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for the art reminder, I sometimes find myself processing as if the color police are standing over my shoulder.  I'll definitely check that video out, I've been oh-so-close to diving into his Fundamentals series.  

#4 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:41 AM

Thanks for the art reminder, I sometimes find myself processing as if the color police are standing over my shoulder.  I'll definitely check that video out, I've been oh-so-close to diving into his Fundamentals series.  

He really is brilliant. I am finally at a point where I will understand the tutorials lol, so yeah, I will be making that purchase soon.  I figure I have another month with no work, more or less. SO I hate to spend, but when will I have this much time again!  ;-)

#5 bacon

bacon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:53 AM

He really is brilliant. I am finally at a point where I will understand the tutorials lol, so yeah, I will be making that purchase soon.  I figure I have another month with no work, more or less. SO I hate to spend, but when will I have this much time again!  ;-)

Right!  But reminds me that our vendors and mentors that do this for a living need support as well.  Might have to gloss over the eyepiece sales that are going on.

#6 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:59 AM

Might have to gloss over the eyepiece sales that are going on.

DUDE! LOL the sales are getting on my nerves.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics