•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First picture of a galaxy (M51) taken with ASI294MC Pro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fielke

Fielke

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:36 AM

I still have much to learn, but I was able to take my first Galaxy picture, thanks to the great advice I've gotten from this forum.

Taken with Vixen ED80 SF, no filter, no flattener, only the ASI294MC Pro.

30 x 120 seconds exposure, unguided.

Quite happy with the result since it's only an hour of total exposure.

M51 stack debayer versie 2top.jpg

• R Botero and bobharmony like this

#2 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Messenger

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:56 AM

Congratulations!  It is a nice picture, and an excellent start to your adventure.  Thanks for sharing.

#3 bobharmony

bobharmony

Ranger 4

• Loc: Connecticut, USA

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:00 AM

Congrats on your first galaxy image.  It looks really nice.  Can you share what you used to process the image?  I am curious as I suspect there may be more details hiding in the data, just waiting to be brought out.

Bob

#4 Fielke

Fielke

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:04 AM

I used deepskystacker to stack the light and dark frames, but had some trouble figuring out how to go from greyscale to colour photos. I'm not sure if I did everything right. Then I used photoshop (curves and levels) to bring out the details. After that I used the black/white point to get the final image.

Tips would be much appreciated!

#5 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Apollo

• Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:21 AM

When you stack them, be sure to debayer according to the RGGB pattern. This will bring the color in.

#6 Fielke

Fielke

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:28 AM

When you stack them, be sure to debayer according to the RGGB pattern. This will bring the color in.

I just checked and definitely used RGGB pattern. Still don't really see much different colours in the result.

I opened the image in GIMP and played around with the curves and levels. I didn't set a black/white point to keep the most detail.

M51 stack debayer.jpg

#7 TinySpeck

TinySpeck

Ranger 4

• ****-
  • Loc: Seattle area

Posted 04 April 2020 - 11:21 AM

Nice start!  Depending on the light pollution you have, you may need up to 20 hours to get really nice detail and color.  It looks like your stars are nice and round even without guiding, but you'll probably want to get that going next.

#8 glancey

glancey

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Ana, CA, USA

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:18 PM

I still have much to learn, but I was able to take my first Galaxy picture, thanks to the great advice I've gotten from this forum.

Taken with Vixen ED80 SF, no filter, no flattener, only the ASI294MC Pro.

30 x 120 seconds exposure, unguided.

Quite happy with the result since it's only an hour of total exposure.

attachicon.gifM51 stack debayer versie 2top.jpg

Have you tried using Sharpcap to image and live stack?  With your camera and scope and a goto mount (an Alt/Az  will do) you should be able to take images of no more than 15 - 20s and bring out amazing detail of DSOs. Check out the EAA and Night Vision forum for advice.

• elrico likes this

#9 bobharmony

bobharmony

Ranger 4

• Loc: Connecticut, USA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 08:24 AM

I just checked and definitely used RGGB pattern. Still don't really see much different colours in the result.

I opened the image in GIMP and played around with the curves and levels. I didn't set a black/white point to keep the most detail.

attachicon.gifM51 stack debayer.jpg

I see some better detail in this image.  The bridge between the two galaxies is more apparent, for example.

When I started with PS a few years ago, I found a series of videos from Doug German that were helpful in developing some basic skills.  They may be worth a look.  Here is a link to the first one in the series:  https://www.youtube....h?v=Ke3iO9d2Qw8

Bob

• ewave likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics