•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

William Optics GT102 - is this best for my needs?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 midnightlightning

midnightlightning

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:48 AM

I have been looking for a 4" refractor in the £2k-£3k price range to give me more reach and greater resolution than my excellent Esprit 80.

My conclusion after three full days of analysis is that the GT 102 should do what I need.

I'm thinking or getting both the 68III flattener and Flat 7a 0.8 reducer.

Any thoughts?

Also, has anyone any experience of using the William Optics Flattener 68III with the GT102. As far as I can see the flattener was specifically made for the FLT132 but is also shown as useable on the GT102 - just wondered if it is ok not being specifically made for it?

#2 PowerM3

PowerM3

Mariner 2

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:52 AM

Hey, I have had a GT102. Its an awesome little scope! Sorry I do not have any experience with AP gear for it but here is a write up I did on it on my blog that might be a good read for you. http://www.avt-astro...r-touch-focuser

• m9x18 and midnightlightning like this

#3 midnightlightning

midnightlightning

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2020 - 02:37 PM

Hey, I have had a GT102. Its an awesome little scope! Sorry I do not have any experience with AP gear for it but here is a write up I did on it on my blog that might be a good read for you. http://www.avt-astro...r-touch-focuser

Hi, Apologies for the slow response, I didn't get a notification for some reason. unfortunately the link doesn't work?

I bought a GT102 in the end and am having a lot of problems getting round stars out of it - especially on full frame despite using Flat 7A flattener and having now also tried a replacement. Be interested to see any images you have from it?

Edited by midnightlightning, 25 April 2020 - 02:39 PM.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Soyuz

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 25 April 2020 - 06:48 PM

Hi, Apologies for the slow response, I didn't get a notification for some reason. unfortunately the link doesn't work?

I bought a GT102 in the end and am having a lot of problems getting round stars out of it - especially on full frame despite using Flat 7A flattener and having now also tried a replacement. Be interested to see any images you have from it?

Can you post a pic of your results?  Looking at it there are ways to diagnose if it's a spacing issue, or tilt, or...?

• midnightlightning likes this

#5 midnightlightning

midnightlightning

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:03 PM

Can you post a pic of your results?  Looking at it there are ways to diagnose if it's a spacing issue, or tilt, or...?

I sent it back in the end and it will go to WO for analysis. I spent 5 nights trying various things and got to the point that I had enough.

It was a very nice looking scope and well built except for one thing I really didn't like. The focuser, and everything attached to it (flattener, EFW, CCD, OAG) was attached to the Lens Tube with 4 tiny grub screws - nothing else. All other connections had nice heavy duty screw threads but it seemed like a weakness to not use something similar on the joint that was taking most weight. 

#6 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:04 PM

I sent it back in the end and it will go to WO for analysis. I spent 5 nights trying various things and got to the point that I had enough.

It was a very nice looking scope and well built except for one thing I really didn't like. The focuser, and everything attached to it (flattener, EFW, CCD, OAG) was attached to the Lens Tube with 4 tiny grub screws - nothing else. All other connections had nice heavy duty screw threads but it seemed like a weakness to not use something similar on the joint that was taking most weight. 

sorry to hear you are having problems. Just got my GT102 a week or so ago and I like it. got the package with guide scope and Flat68III. Nice round stars. I think I do need to adjust the flattened backfocus a bit. I didn't have adapters to get my camera the 54.8mm exact so I used the adjustment on the flattener to make up the difference. Here is first light.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• M3.jpg

• m9x18, OldManSky and sunnyday like this

#7 Joe G

Joe G

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 04 May 2020 - 11:41 AM

What camera did you use?

#8 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:49 PM

What camera did you use?

ASI183MC-P

Chris

#9 midnightlightning

midnightlightning

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 May 2020 - 03:20 PM

sorry to hear you are having problems. Just got my GT102 a week or so ago and I like it. got the package with guide scope and Flat68III. Nice round stars. I think I do need to adjust the flattened backfocus a bit. I didn't have adapters to get my camera the 54.8mm exact so I used the adjustment on the flattener to make up the difference. Here is first light.

Chris

Nice image - I would have been very happy with stars like that :)

• Cfreerksen likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics