•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bluetooth on 8se USB hand controller

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hobiemark

Hobiemark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SE PA

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:11 AM

I've been looking on CN for recent information about making a BT connection to the newer (USB) style hand controller. I read tekkie's and lord beowulf's informative posts from a few years ago, and at that time it seemed the consensus that the USB to rs232 in the HC needed to be bypassed.

Has anyone come across information about whether an hc-06 can be used with a rs232 to mini-usb cable to make the connection? I'm a complete novice in electronics and would appreciate help with this.

I have a newer 8se with the USB port and also a StarSense with the USB port and would like to get a BT connection, since my skyportal wifi (v. 3)is unreliable. 

I am aware that using an hc-06 with one of the older HCs does work, and that would be my plan B.

Any guidance from our CN colleagues is welcome.

Mark 

Edited by Hobiemark, 04 April 2020 - 05:21 PM.

#2 PolyWogg

PolyWogg

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:09 PM

Can't help with the BT aspect, but I saw a post the other day where someone was testing their wifi options, and there was apparently a wide variation in the stability of the connection but it depended not on the wifi unit but on which app you used it with. Just a thought for the short-term...

Paul

#3 Hobiemark

Hobiemark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:31 PM

Paul, 

Thx for the input on that. 

Celestron replaced my original unit, but I haven't been using it. I'm trying to take one step at a time with my scope, and I figured I should learn how to drive the scope with the HC then go on to using Sky Safari over wifi.

In the meantime, I may have found the dropout issue. The power plug is loose in the jack and that may be the culprit. I did find posts on CN addressing the issue and I am planning to fix it asap.

Mark

#4 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:58 PM

Here is a recent post on this:

https://www.cloudyni...um-mobile-plus/

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#5 Hobiemark

Hobiemark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:42 PM

Mike, 

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out. 

BTW, your book is my 8SE bible. 

Mark

• Michael_Swanson likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics