•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is the CPC mount the same for both the 9.25 and 11" OTA's ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Bonanno

Tony Bonanno

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:13 PM

I was thinking about buying a CPC 9.25 Edge..  If I decide later that I want the 11" OTA, can I defork the 9.25 OTA and just replace it with the 11" ?

Tony B

#2 ewave

ewave

Surveyor 1

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:44 PM

Not likely, they are simply different widths. 

But you could always defork an ota and put it on a suitable GEM mount.

Also single arm mounts like the EVO support SCTs from 5" to 9.25" and are swappable.

I do remember a thread where someone turned his CPC fork into a single arm mount with a lot of work.

Just can't imagine someone trying to put a beast like a C11 OTA on a single arm but to each his own.

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:19 PM

I was thinking about buying a CPC 9.25 Edge..  If I decide later that I want the 11" OTA, can I defork the 9.25 OTA and just replace it with the 11" ?

Tony B

They are the same Forks and Tripod with the  C925 OTA having thicker spacers/ears to allow it to fit.

Adding a C11 later might be an issue due to the spacer/ears differences.

Open these in separate windows and flip back and forth to see the difference(s)

CPC925

CPC1100

• outofsight likes this

#4 Tony Bonanno

Tony Bonanno

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:01 PM

Thanks Sean and Mike.. I think I'll forego that idea smirk.gif

#5 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:52 AM

Tony, the CPC 9.25 and CPC 1100 (edgeHD versions or not) are very close in a number of other ways too (and because of use of the same mounts). They weigh very close to each other (both IMHO are a pain to lug around any distance) and they are very similar in visual impact. Yes there is a difference (and the C11 certainly does go deeper when you are working at the very edge)  but it's not usually a knock your socks off difference ... and so most of the time it's not enough of a difference to be a big deal.

Now if you ever want to start a good argument around here just ask about opinions of the visual difference between an EdgeHD 9.25 vs. a regular C11 SCT.

I'd get which ever scope fits your current budget and just not worry about it again.

• Tony Bonanno likes this

#6 Tony Bonanno

Tony Bonanno

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:00 PM

Tony, the CPC 9.25 and CPC 1100 (edgeHD versions or not) are very close in a number of other ways too (and because of use of the same mounts). They weigh very close to each other (both IMHO are a pain to lug around any distance) and they are very similar in visual impact. Yes there is a difference (and the C11 certainly does go deeper when you are working at the very edge)  but it's not usually a knock your socks off difference ... and so most of the time it's not enough of a difference to be a big deal.

Now if you ever want to start a good argument around here just ask about opinions of the visual difference between an EdgeHD 9.25 vs. a regular C11 SCT.

I'd get which ever scope fits your current budget and just not worry about it again.

Thanks Mark.. I'm struggling with the choice.  I thought I'd go ahead with the 11, but I'm 75, not very big, and not as fit as I once was.  Even though the weight isn't that different, the size (I've heard the 1100 is much bulkier) might be an issue for me.  I use to have a scope buggy and thought that might be the answer (my dark sky site is my driveway luckily).  More and more I've been leaning towards the 9.25 Edge, but admittedly I've always enjoyed trying to detect the really faint DSO's.  I'm almost ready to flip a coin smirk.gif .

#7 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:02 AM

Hi Tony,

Just to add a little to the excellent advice you have already received, the 9.25" SCT uses a slightly different optical configuration compared to all other Celestron SCTs so the optical tube is almost as long as the 11" SCT.  Meaning other than the very modest weight savings (58 versus 65 pounds for the fork and tube assembly) it is not much more portable/manageable.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

• Tony Bonanno likes this

#8 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

Well I have a C9.25 and it is like magic optically! (LOL!). But seriously, I use a GEM for 2 reasons: 1. It’s better for imaging and, 2. It disassembles in many pieces. Having had both a CPC 9.25 and CPC 11, I can say as a fit 69 yo, either is a hoss to lift. I much prefer the fork mount for visual only use, but I find my big, heavy GEM easier to transport. Think about what you will be able to lift 5 years from now.
  • Tony Bonanno and ewave like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics