•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Very Pleasant Surprise

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:48 PM

Or, to take a few liberties with a  Forrest Gump witticism, the sun is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you've got until you stick it in the Nik Collection software and see what pops out. 

As I said previously, I managed to capture a few videos yesterday. First I did a little observing, but as soon as I saw that flame like prom I ran for the camera. But even when I had the camera hooked up and had a good close look at things, all I saw of any note was the large prom at the top and the AR. Today it's back to white skies here, so to pass some time, I decided to put the one image I captured of the disk with the gain turned up into AutoStakkert. I always get AutoStakkert to give me two images ... one normal, the other Sharpened with Raw blended in for 50%. I then took that sharpened image in this case into PhotoShop, cropped it, changed the Mode to RGB and opened it in the Nik Collection plugin. Man, was I ever surprised at what I saw! Here was a bony finger looking prom down at the bottom that I hadn't even seen yesterday ... either while observing or on the computer screen, a lot of other little proms around the limb, and a little piece floating above the prom I had seen yesterday!

Today, I've decided to try to share the resulting image that I have uploaded to Flickr ... rather than upload a 500KB image here on CN. If the link doesn't work, I hope someone will let me know ... and I'll do it the old way.

49735906896_ad043cd6df_h.jpgSun Surprise by Zircon_215, on Flickr

Edited by BeltofOrion, 04 April 2020 - 03:56 PM.

• paulsky, eros312, rigel123 and 9 others like this

#2 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:56 PM

Clicked on the image which took me to flickr, however it labeled private so could not display.

• BeltofOrion likes this

#3 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:01 PM

Clicked on the image which took me to flickr, however it labeled private so could not display.

Thanks, Dan. I really appreciate that. So the image was visible on CN ... you just couldn'ts see it on Flickr?

Anyway, I've fixed it now. Changed the viewing to public.

This is the firat time I've tried this. Thanks again!

Edited by BeltofOrion, 04 April 2020 - 04:01 PM.

#4 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:05 PM

Yes visible here and now on flickr.  I like the flickr image so that I can zoom and pan.

• BeltofOrion likes this

#5 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:08 PM

Nice proms Clayton!

Very best,

#6 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:10 PM

Yes visible here and now on flickr.  I like the flickr image so that I can zoom and pan.

Yes. That is exactly what I wanted, Dan. I just thought I might be be able to do it without making the image public on Flickr. 

#7 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:10 PM

Nice, that is an interesting prom!

• BeltofOrion likes this

#8 RickV

RickV

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 05 April 2020 - 02:35 AM

Nice Image!

Best,

Rick

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics