•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Paramount MX+ issue... mks5000 won't connect

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Really Big Steve

Really Big Steve

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:50 PM

I get this error every time.  I have tied different USB ports, unloaded various software, stopped many apps from running in the background and still this error.  Help.  Thanks.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:10 PM

First step is to check in device manager to see what port the MX+ is using. If you don't see the device then there is a problem. Either your cable is bad, the USB board is bad or the MKS5000 is bad. Then use the drop down in the mount setup dialog which should show you the same port in the Serial Port drop down. You did install the MKS5000 driver, right?

Rgrds-Ross 

• Gary Z likes this

#3 Really Big Steve

Really Big Steve

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:26 PM

I checked the device manager and see SB MKS5000 in COM6 listed.  I updated the driver and already had the most recent driver installed.  I still cannot get it to connect.

#4 Really Big Steve

Really Big Steve

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:38 PM

Ok, I re plugged into a different USB plug and now it is says it not home.  Now I get these Device: Mount Poor communication error 213 and Receive time-out COMM_TIMEOUT error 21002.

#5 jmiller1001

jmiller1001

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:50 PM

Hmm...this happened to me the other day.  Two things to consider.  Are the Dec/AZ locking pins in place with the gears engaged?  I got the same message on my MYT the other day and that was the issue (doh!).  If it's a laptop and it's on battery power, the power settings may be turning the USB off to save power.

Edited by jmiller1001, 04 April 2020 - 04:51 PM.

• rgsalinger likes this

#6 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:02 PM

Are you using the USB cable that came with the mount? Are you using the power supply (48 volt) that came with the mount? When you connect what do you hear? The Not Homed message is normal, the subsequent messages do in fact show that the mount may be "frozen" in some way. Is this the first time you've used the mount?

Rgrds-Ross

#7 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Apollo

• Loc: Somewhere in Space

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:12 PM

I checked the device manager and see SB MKS5000 in COM6 listed.  I updated the driver and already had the most recent driver installed.  I still cannot get it to connect.

If I recall correctly, I think the MKS5000 prefers to be on COM5 for less, try changing that and you should be good.  That's what I had to do, years ago.

Edited by iwannabswiss, 04 April 2020 - 05:15 PM.

#8 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:28 PM

Mine runs fine on COM13 and has for almost two years now. Now bear in mind that I am running Windows 10 and have done so since I got the mount 4 years ago. What kind of computer is being used?

Rgrds-Ross

#9 jmiller1001

jmiller1001

Ranger 4

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:44 PM

The particular COM port has no impact.  Mine switches between COM 6, 15 and 12 depending upon what other devices are connected.

#10 DS INC

DS INC

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:00 AM

Mount Poor communication error 213 and Receive time-out COMM_TIMEOUT error 21002.

The bummer here is all your errors, 203, 213 and 21102 are all no response from devise, poor communication and a comm time out error.  21002 is the worst as it is specifically a MKS comm time out error.

You might need a new board.

#11 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Apollo

• Loc: Somewhere in Space

Posted 05 April 2020 - 07:24 AM

Mine runs fine on COM13 and has for almost two years now. Now bear in mind that I am running Windows 10 and have done so since I got the mount 4 years ago. What kind of computer is being used?

Rgrds-Ross

The particular COM port has no impact.  Mine switches between COM 6, 15 and 12 depending upon what other devices are connected.

I realize it shouldn't matter which COM port is selected, but I ran into a connectivity issue as described by the OP and did the same things; replacing cables, changing the USB port location, and remove and re-adding drivers. I also reached out for assistance years ago, and someone at the time told me the same thing I mentioned and advised me to change the COM port, which I did, and sure enough, for some reason, it fixed the problem, and I haven't had trouble since. This was on Windows 7, which I'm also still using it on, but for the OP it wouldn't hurt try, especially since he's done everything else besides replacing the board.

#12 jmiller1001

jmiller1001

Ranger 4

Posted 05 April 2020 - 04:35 PM

I realize it shouldn't matter which COM port is selected, but I ran into a connectivity issue as described by the OP and did the same things; replacing cables, changing the USB port location, and remove and re-adding drivers. I also reached out for assistance years ago, and someone at the time told me the same thing I mentioned and advised me to change the COM port, which I did, and sure enough, for some reason, it fixed the problem, and I haven't had trouble since. This was on Windows 7, which I'm also still using it on, but for the OP it wouldn't hurt try, especially since he's done everything else besides replacing the board.

It's MS Windows...would not surprise me....:-)

• iwannabswiss likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics