•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Distance between focuser holes?

beginner
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rio6

Rio6

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:57 PM

Hello everyone.

Currently I'm designing my first telescope, but I'm not sure what are the distances between the big focuser holes and the 4 screw holes. I'm wandering if there's a standard/common size and distances, or are they all different and I need to get the actual one I'll be using and measure from it?

Thanks

#2 dan_h

dan_h

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:05 PM

As far as I know, ( which isn't very far), there is no standard mounting arrangement for focusers.  Some will be interchangeable, others not.  You would be better off if you can locate a mounting template for the focuser you intend to use. 

dan

#3 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Winder, Ga USA

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:09 PM

I definitely wouldnt count on it......while there are exceptions the wise move would be dont make holes unless you have the focuser you plan to use in your hands or at least a template specific to it.

• Mike Spooner likes this

#4 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:12 PM

Hello everyone.

Currently I'm designing my first telescope, but I'm not sure what are the distances between the big focuser holes and the 4 screw holes. I'm wandering if there's a standard/common size and distances, or are they all different and I need to get the actual one I'll be using and measure from it?

Thanks

receive the focuser in hand before making any holes.

#5 Rio6

Rio6

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:28 PM

Ok, I'll leave out the holes in my design for now until I get a focuser. Thanks everyone.smile.gif

• kfiscus likes this

#6 kb58

kb58

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:05 PM

Building a car from scratch taught me a big lesson: have the parts on-hand before cutting or welding. Said another way: using the actual part as the template means never* going wrong.

*Unless of course you put the focuser somewhere that it can't achieve focus!

Edited by kb58, 04 April 2020 - 08:06 PM.

• grtyvr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics