•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

After 10 years the wait is over...

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Scopetonic

Scopetonic

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:06 PM

A couple nights ago I got the email from AP that my 130 was ready. It was a weird email, saying something like we regret even sending in light of concerns around coronavirus.

Ten years is a long time to wait for anything. I'm so thankful that I got on the list as a college student with a dream of using this scope and now do not have to pass on this opportunity.

I did a good bit of AP back then but now am mostly visual. I have a vixen SXD that carries a Meade 10" SCT, so should handle the AP130.

My observing tendencies lately are much more grab and go. What are some good mounts that would manage this mission?
  • Paul Hyndman, zjc26138, coopman and 17 others like this

#2 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 05 April 2020 - 02:20 AM

A couple nights ago I got the email from AP that my 130 was ready. It was a weird email, saying something like we regret even sending in light of concerns around coronavirus.

Ten years is a long time to wait for anything. I'm so thankful that I got on the list as a college student with a dream of using this scope and now do not have to pass on this opportunity.

I did a good bit of AP back then but now am mostly visual. I have a vixen SXD that carries a Meade 10" SCT, so should handle the AP130.

My observing tendencies lately are much more grab and go. What are some good mounts that would manage this mission?

Ten years? How come? Love to hear the whole story. Mark

• Scott in NC and sunnyday like this

#3 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 05 April 2020 - 04:54 AM

Congratulations on getting this uplifting meesage about your EDF130 GT.

You may wish to choose a timeless mount that will operate reliably and to your full satisfaction over the decades with such a great scope.

For visual use, including high power binoviewing, current A-P mounts are a bit overkill, but the classic A-P 400 and 600 are great mounts, as are the available new Tak EM11 and even better suited but heavier EM200, especially if you use either on the much more stable EM200 tripod. Any mount with comparable stability and capacity on a good mount or pier will do fine. A Losmandy GM-8 also comes to mind, though you may prefer the more stable GM-11.

• chemisted, Bomber Bob, Tyson M and 1 other like this

#4 bobhen

bobhen

Soyuz

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:14 AM

For portability and the kind of visual observing that you are doing now, consider a manual alt/az mount from…

Discmounts, DM6

AOKswiss, AYO digi II

Desert Sky Astro, DSV-3
Sometimes these have long delivery times

Get a sturdy tripod for any of the above.
A nice wood Berlebach tripod (from Deep Space Products if you are in the USA)

The above, with your AP 130, should keep you happy and busy for a lifetime.

Bob

• davidpitre, Erik Bakker, BravoFoxtrot and 3 others like this

#5 Yu Gu

Yu Gu

Vostok 1

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:25 AM

I received the same email last Friday as well but had to decline the offer due to a lack of space in my closet after 10 years...

#6 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:30 AM

I think it was last year I thought about putting myself on the list and  at that time were no longer adding to the list and still aren't. 

Edited by russell23, 05 April 2020 - 01:58 PM.

#7 payner

payner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bluegrass & Cumberland Valley Regions, Kentucky

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:51 PM

I have two Vixen mounts and consider them both excellently designed with a substantial payload relative to their light weight. It is the design of these mounts, specifically the placement of the RA gears and motor that help provide this desirable characteristic. The SXD2 (the model I have, along with a much more substantial "New Atlux") will actually carry a Takahashi TOA-130 quite capable for visual use. I have the mini-pier, HAL-130 tripod with the accessory tray and this is stable. Remarkably lightweight, reliable mount that never fusses with this load.

• Paul Morow, Bomber Bob, Tyson M and 2 others like this

#8 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 April 2020 - 02:40 PM

The Panther TTS-160 works great with my 130gtx. I really like this combo

Attached Thumbnails

• F5CB8C36-C72B-418C-B62D-1A35C36B5962.jpeg

• Doug D., moshen, Erik Bakker and 5 others like this

#9 lionel

lionel

Ranger 4

• Loc: Delaware

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:59 PM

An SXD with HAL130 and mini-pier will carry your 130GTX just fine for visual. That is the exact setup I used with my GTX for high power double star work the first two years. It's a stable platform with no focus settling time unless it is a breezy night. 

More recently I have been using an iOptron AZMP with a Tri-Pier to carry my scope (24 lb fully dressed with ADM dovetail, A-P rings, 2" diagonal, 2" ep and finderscope).  It is not quite as stable as the SXD but is adequate, with a focus settling time of less than two seconds at high power. It has some advantages over the SXD especially for short sessions. The alt az always keeps the eyepiece in a comfortable, contortion-free position (important at my age).  A quick one-star alignment produces accurate go to's and tracking (can also be aligned in daylight on the sun, moon or Venus).  And lastly, it runs almost silently on its built-in lithium battery for up to ~10 hours on a charge.

Lionel

Edited by lionel, 06 April 2020 - 10:21 AM.

#10 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 05 April 2020 - 04:15 PM

I really like the AP-400 QMD mounts for their elegant design and pure functionality for visual work. If you can find one with factory installed encoders you will have an outstanding mount for visual use with that new AP 130mm scope. I might even have a lead on a pristine AP-400 QMD with encoders on a period correct AP wooden tripod, if interested PM me. 

I also highly recommend the Losmandy GM8G mount for up to a TEC140 and similar class scopes. I have observed with a TEC140 on an original GM8G many times and it carries the TEC140 perfectly, very stable even on the Losmandy Light Weight Tripod. The newest GM8G has improved the LWT which is stiffer and the massively improved new tucked-in servo motors with spring loaded one-piece worm blocks so the new ones are even better than the classics like my own. With an upgraded tripod to a Berlebach Planet the GM8G is even better. I use the GM8G on a Berlebach Planet and with the bespoke Parallax/AT130 f/6 EDT apo which is an overbuilt industrial style instrument with a the 3.7" AT/ZTA focuser and same tube diameter as the TEC140 but heavier @ 25 pounds with rings and double dovetails, and the GM8G is solid with no vibration. 

• kkt likes this

#11 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 05 April 2020 - 06:13 PM

Congrats!  Must share pics with us all once in your possession.  

#12 StarAlert

StarAlert

Mariner 2

• Loc: Claremont CA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:48 PM

I would not recommend the DSV-3. It’s rated for scopes weighing up to 20lbs with a focal length up to 1,000mm. Your 130 will be well over the 20lb limit once you add rings, dovetail and diagonal. 

• 25585 likes this

#13 contrailmaker

contrailmaker

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:11 AM

Congratulations on your GTX. I also recommend the iOptron AZMP with the tri-pier mount and the extension. That is what I have been using. If you are going visual only, I find it much easier and confortable than an ecuatorial mount.

CM

• cwright likes this

#14 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:11 AM

Ten years? How come? Love to hear the whole story. Mark

Yeah, I’m curious about this, too.  I got on the AP130 list in January 2011 and received the notification that my scope was ready for purchase in January 2018 (7 years after I got on the list, and still just over 9 years ago).  If you joined the list in 2010, I would have thought that you would have received your notification about 3 years ago.

#15 Scopetonic

Scopetonic

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:23 AM

Mark and Scott,

I'm not sure exactly when I got on the list I just know it would have been before I graduated college in 2010.

I remember calling astrophysics 2 years ago to update my contact email and they said the telescope may never be delivered and they were focusing on another OTA at the time.

I had been given a 1980 Meade 2080, then purchased an ED80 for AP and caught the bug. Dreaming about the best scope for photography, I thought to myself, "I might be able to afford an astrophysics telescope someday," so I put myself on the list.

If it came before this year I'd have had to take out a loan to make the purchase so I'm quite content for the long wait.
  • Scott in NC and eros312 like this

#16 Scopetonic

Scopetonic

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:26 AM

Erik,

I'm sure those are all great mounts, and a binoviewer is definitely in the future as funds allow.

For short term I'm sure the vixen SXD will carry the load. Long term I'd love it on a mach 2 on a pier in my backyard.

#17 Scopetonic

Scopetonic

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:27 AM

Bob,

I think you're on the right track I'll take a look at all these alt az mounts

#18 Scopetonic

Scopetonic

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:28 AM

I received the same email last Friday as well but had to decline the offer due to a lack of space in my closet after 10 years...

I'm so sorry you had to pass!

#19 Scopetonic

Scopetonic

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:29 AM

I have two Vixen mounts and consider them both excellently designed with a substantial payload relative to their light weight. It is the design of these mounts, specifically the placement of the RA gears and motor that help provide this desirable characteristic. The SXD2 (the model I have, along with a much more substantial "New Atlux") will actually carry a Takahashi TOA-130 quite capable for visual use. I have the mini-pier, HAL-130 tripod with the accessory tray and this is stable. Remarkably lightweight, reliable mount that never fusses with this load.

Just curious, how does the pier provide any benefit?

#20 payner

payner

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:59 PM

The tripod legs do not need to be extended as much to achieve a certain elevation of the mount head/telescope with the Vixen mini-pier installed. The less extension of the tripod legs, the more rigid (sturdy) the system.

#21 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:14 PM

The tripod legs do not need to be extended as much to achieve a certain elevation of the mount head/telescope with the Vixen mini-pier installed. The less extension of the tripod legs, the more rigid (sturdy) the system.

This is an old wives tale, maybe true if the tripod is junk and the extension is very short but most people need to have the eyepiece somewhere around 48" or so halfway to zenith (depending on the telescope mount and optical design obviously) while seated to get the best observing experience. A standing observer's needs an even higher eyepiece level but standing observation is not as good because standing limits duration on the object and ruins eyepiece placement stability both of which are key to quality observation sessions.   

Do the math, the wider the base circle of the tripod, the more direct the load can be transferred to that circle the stiffer the top of the tripod will be, this is not new. 

Edited by YAOG, 06 April 2020 - 11:11 PM.

#22 Scopetonic

Scopetonic

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:50 PM

What are your favorite EPs with this scope?

My current lineup is a 40mm 68 degree, 20mm hyperion, 13mm 80ish degree, and 10mm radian. I'm sure I'll want a high power planetary EP, or barlow?

Will my 2" televue diagonal work?

#23 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:07 PM

I think the good news here is a 130mm refractor to me is kind of the sweet spot as far as major capability but still easily mountable. Though I don't know how heavy the scope you are getting is.

When I compared my 10 inch dob to a 130mm F7ish refractor, I found I preferred the refractor for many objects. Even though the dob was brighter. And it was capable of providing a wider field of view which I greatly appreciated. Ultimately I had to sell the scope for funds. And now I deal with having a 4 inch as my largest apo (though I do have a nice 6 inch F5 achro which I cannot wait to take under a dark sky). Don't get me wrong, a 4 inch is a nice capability. But it just seemed like the 130 gets you over a threshold, but still works on normal mounts. Though the one I had was pretty light (15 pounds OTA only). 

That's a pretty absurd waiting time though. I get frustrate when I have to wait a month or two! 

• YAOG likes this

#24 payner

payner

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:08 PM

This is an old wives tale, maybe true if the tripod is junk and the extension is very short but most people need to have the eyepiece somewhere around 48" or so halfway to zenith (depending on the telescope mount and optical design obviously) while seated to get the best observing experience. A standing observers needs are even higher but standing observation is not as good because standing limits duration on the object and ruins eyepiece placement stability both key to quality observation sessions.   

Do the math, the wider the base circle of the tripod, the more direct the load can be transferred to that circle the stiffer the top of the tripod will be, this is not new. 

There's more than just a wide base to optimizing stability, but that should be a characteristic commensurate with a quality tripod. It all works as a unit for a more rigid platform. This is not new. <g>

#25 StarAlert

StarAlert

Mariner 2

• Loc: Claremont CA

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:37 PM

There's more than just a wide base to optimizing stability, but that should be a characteristic commensurate with a quality tripod. It all works as a unit for a more rigid platform. This is not new. <g>

I don’t know if wider is always better, Oberwerk suggests that the legs on my TR3 should be angled at 22o - 23o for optimal performance. 

Edited by StarAlert, 06 April 2020 - 09:39 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics