•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Apogee 25x or 20x 100mm?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:56 PM

I have been using a pair of orion megaview 15x80mm and love them. I'd like to try something a bit bigger and the Apogee bino's look like a good price....Should I get the 20x or the 25x. I plan on keeping my orions so I'm leaning towards the the 25x...for $250 for that much glass I feel I must buy a pair even if the quality is not 100%....I have been using bino's to hunt for DSO's when I can't take out the 10" reflector.

Comments on 20x or 25x?

Thanks in advance

TIm

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:13 PM

With no discussion of quality

25x

edz

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:12 AM

Absolutely get the 25x. Since you already have 15x binos, get the larger magnification.

#4 AJTony

AJTony

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 April 2004 - 02:47 PM

I own a pair of the 25X binoculars, and they are a joy to use. Check out my post on 4/18/04-AJTony. Make sure you have a decent tripod. I recommend the Orion heavy duty tripod , about $130. This will give you decent service until you (and myself) find the perfect mount for these 10 lb binos. The Orion tripod is a great general utilty unit, so you won't feel a loss if you switch to another mount. Main problem with tripod is you are limited to about 60 degrees vertical.

#5 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 25 April 2004 - 08:18 AM

Mount the binoculars with the tripod head handle facing forward. You will be able to reach to zenith.

edz

#6 AJTony

AJTony

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 April 2004 - 12:43 PM

I agree that reversing the handle will allow the binoculars to point to the zenith, but then my body can find no contorsional means to get my eyes to the eyepieces. The intrinsic shape of a standard tripod prevents one from "getting under it". One needs an offset device, thus the parallelogram type mounts. However, this brings in a cost and size factor, especially when the binoculars weigh in at 10 lbs. This discussion leads one to wish that all astronomy big binos had 45 degree eyepieces.

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2004 - 01:05 PM

I have been using the parallelogram set up that orion sells with my 15x80mm's. I works good but I can not get low on the horizon. What am I doing wrong?

Tim

#8 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 25 April 2004 - 02:53 PM

AJ wrote: "This discussion leads one to wish that all astronomy big binos had 45 degree eyepieces."

I could not agree more. One of the benefits of binocular observing is the mobility and ease of use they afford the observer. While any mount, be it monopod, tripod, mirror viewer (Sky Window) or parallelogram mount on a tripd does help steady the view or make viewing more comfortable, they add bulk to the package. With some, you still have to crane your neck uncomfortably. At least 45 degree viewing helps with that and 45 degree eyepieces allows one to stay with a tripod only, eliminating the need to add a parallelogram mount to a tripod.

Barry Simon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics