•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PHD2 says no

beginner
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fluff

fluff

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:17 PM

Hello,

After finally getting my William Optics 50 mm guide scope and ASI120 mini working together and in focus the guide button on phd2 (running on my High Sierra mac) remains disabled along with the menu item. It can auto select a guide star but refuses to start guiding. Has anyone else encountered this problem? And, of course, if they have what was the solution so I can spend many more  miserable hours in the dark and cold failing to get the sort of images everyone else is posting?

Everything worked wonderfully well with the old phd, an old orion optics 50mm guide scope and a SSAG and the mac but I've made the terrible mistake of upgrading, fnar, fnar.

Cheers.

Fluff

-----

William Optics GT81

William Optics 50mm guide scope

ZWO ASI120 mini camera thing

NEQ-6 mount

And loads and loads of junk

#2 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:20 PM

Have you properly connected to the mount? Test it by using the manual guiding buttons within PHD2 to move the scope around. 

Alex

• scadvice likes this

#3 fluff

fluff

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2020 - 03:22 PM

Hi Alex,

Good point! I thought I had followed the instructions correctly for on-camera st4 guiding but i didn't try using the buttons. I'll give that a go next time. Thanks.

Cheers,

Fluff

#4 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 04:00 PM

Another thing you might try.....Start the loop exposures. Then stop it with the stop sign. Then click on your star. Then, click on the "start guiding" button. Sometimes, when it is looping, it needs to be told to stop looping before it is told to start guiding. 

Alex

• Stelios likes this

#5 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:28 PM

There's nothing that works in PhD that doesn't work in PhD2. Get that thought out of your mind, and you'll be closer to the solution.

First of all, did you calibrate? Calibration is required

Since your camera works, PhD2 needs control of the mount. You might have a bad ST-4 cable (I assume you are using "on-camera" for the mount). 

It's also *very remotely* possible that the ST-4 port on the new camera is defective. You could put in your old camera and try it to see if it works. 

Finally, consider switching to pulse guiding. That would require a computer connection for the NEQ6, and it will result in better guiding for objects closer to the pole, as well as no need to recalibrate.

• numchuck likes this

#6 fluff

fluff

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 02:49 AM

Hi Alex, Stelios,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I'll certainly try them out. I think I'd be stupid not to, seeing as you have over 17,000 posts between you... I've been through the dark frames bit of calibration, maybe there's more that I've missed - I'll drag the old mark ones over the manual again. I've adopted a new mantra, 'PhD2 will work because of PhD'... :)

Thanks once again. 

Cheers,

Fluff

-----
William Optics GT81
NEQ-6 mount

ZWO ASI 294 Colour

#7 fluff

fluff

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 April 2020 - 02:53 AM

Hi,

Out in the cold last night using the ST-4 cable from the old SSAG camera and no problems with PHD2. It may be that the new ST-4 cable that came with the 120 mini has some sort of a problem, either a break in a wire or one or both connectors are bad or don't make good contact. I'll buzz it out but at least that's a small step in the right direction.

Cheers,

Fluff

-----
William Optics GT81
NEQ-6 mount
ZWO ASI 294 Colour

#8 Peter Zbib

Peter Zbib

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:15 PM

Cables are trickier than they look... And bad cables often lead to difficult to debug problems ...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics