•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starsense for Skywatcher and Celestron Motor-focus?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ERHAD

ERHAD

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canary Islands, Spain

Posted 05 April 2020 - 02:28 PM

I've had my Evolution C.25 for a few years now and I have been extremely happy with it. However, I've always believed that the mount head was the weak link and a bit stretched with the 9.25 tube. Since I purchased Celestron´s motorised focuser for their SC, the experience has improved quite a bit, but it still suffers from vibrations at high magnifications or if there is the slightest wind...

This weekend I tried mounting  the C9.25 tube in my recently  acquired Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount and it was quite a revelation. Wow! So much more stable! Such a pleasing experience. I've been using my evolution mount with Starsense since pretty much day one with great results. I have found a place where I can buy the Starsense-skywatcher interface box alone (without the camera) and am considering buying it. My main concern is: since the new rig would use the Starsense hand controller to control the EQ6-R, and I wouldn't want to give up the motor focuser, if I was to attach the motor focuser to one of the Aux ports in the Starsense interface box, would I be able to control it with the Starsense hand controller? The interface box has 3 aux ports and one port for the mount. Celestron´s documentation mentions the possibility of using the GPS module in one of the Aux ports, but no mention of the focuser (I believe the focuser came out later). Basically, my idea is:  one port for the camera, one port for the HC and the third one for the focuser...

Hope someone knows. thanks in advance for any kind input..

Erik.

Edited by ERHAD, 05 April 2020 - 02:29 PM.

#2 sanbai

sanbai

Ranger 4

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:58 AM

Where did you buy that interface? I hope it wasn't a private transaction and it's available to other people. I don't need it, but the EQ6 AZ is an interesting option for the future.

Sorry that I could not answer your question.

#3 ERHAD

ERHAD

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:03 AM

Hi! Found it on eBay, there seem to be a few vendors selling them, mostly out of the UK. Try looking for:

Celestron 70000 Starsense interface box for Skywatcher.

Erik

• sanbai likes this

#4 ERHAD

ERHAD

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:31 PM

Well , for anybody that might be interested, I contacted Celestron and the short answer is that they don’t know! Their actual answer was:

“...give it a try, see if it works and if it does let us know...”

I understand that with the mandatory stay at home it´s not the best time, but still... I’ve ordered the Skywatcher interface box and will give it a try when it arrives.

Erik.

Edited by ERHAD, 08 April 2020 - 12:31 PM.

• sanbai likes this

#5 Owk

Owk

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:18 PM

Hi Erik,

I had the same experience when moving from the evo to the azeq6, with my C925. Wow!

i use starsense/skywatcher and it’s very good. GPS definitely works, I was told that the WiFi module doesn’t work on an aux port, and am not sure about the focuser, would be good and I’m interested in knowing your outcome.....interestingly CPWI doesn’t work with the box.

hemi

• ERHAD likes this

#6 ERHAD

ERHAD

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:29 AM

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Unfortunately due to the current situation shipping times are ridiculously long and have been waiting for this unit for 20 days now...

I can't wait to give it a try. will make sure to update once I try...

Erik.

• sanbai likes this

#7 ERHAD

ERHAD

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:03 AM

Well, I am extremely excited and happy to report that Celestron´s motor focus unit does indeed work with the Starsense Skywatcher interface box, so I can now mount my C9.25 on the EQ6R-Pro and use both Starsense and the motor focus using Celestron´s  Starsense HC. This is fantastic!  Beware, I haven´t had the chance to try it under the stars, I just made a dry run indoors to test. I can't wait to give it a proper try if the weather gods permit tonight...

Erik.

• Cyrano, Jeff Lee and sanbai like this

#8 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 April 2020 - 12:35 PM

I just heard my piggy bank sequel...……………………. 

• ERHAD likes this

#9 Owk

Owk

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:28 PM

That’s very good news Erik, I have just ordered the focuser. I wish the WiFi module would work!

cheers

hemi

• ERHAD likes this

#10 ERHAD

ERHAD

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:36 PM

That’s very good news Erik, I have just ordered the focuser. I wish the WiFi module would work!

cheers

hemi

Hi Hemi, you’ll love the focuser, I love mine... If I may ask, how do you know that the wifi module won’t work?

Erik

#11 ERHAD

ERHAD

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:38 PM

I just heard my piggy bank sequel...……………………. 

Not an unfamiliar sound. This wonderful hobby is not easy on the wallet... I don’t know how many times I’ve told myself I’ve got all I need and am done buying gear...

Erik

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics