•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

M109 and M108 ?????

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:04 PM

Last night I looked for M108 and M109 with 15x80mm binos. I had clear skys and OK lp...Are these simply to dim? They are both around magnitude 10..

Advice?

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:33 PM

Check some sources for the surface brightness. M109, IIRC, doesn't have much of a core. So that mag is really spread out. SB would be very low. M108 has a mottled appearance, also no core. These might be pretty tough in binocs.

edz

#3 Fiske

Fiske

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:09 AM

tc2:

I have observed both with 8x42mm binos from a good dark sky site. They weren't easy at that aperture, and I've had a lot of experience with small bino observing. I was also using a pair of Nikon Venturer LXs, which is about as good as it gets in a small bino. :)

In 15x80s, they shouldn't be too difficult as long as you are working from a dark site and know *precisely* where to look. You probably won't be able to just sweep them up. You'll need to carefully star hop to them from a good chart like the Sky Atlas 2000 or Herald-Bobroff.

#4 lighttrap

lighttrap

Soyuz

Posted 24 April 2004 - 09:07 AM

FWIW, I've never managed either M108 or M109 with mounted Fujinon 16x70s. Those, and M88-91 and M58-59 and M97-99 seem out of reach from my semi-suburban, semi-light polluted backyard even on those exceedingly rare good clear nights. Recently, it's been so cloudy that I'd settle for a peek at M31, M42 or M45.

I used to have this idea that if I tried hard enough, I could bag all of the M objects with handheld 12x50s. But, the reality is that I'm still lacking quite a few with mounted 16x70s. In fact, I've never had the luxury of dark skies, so haven't even bagged them all with any of the scopes.

It's kind of funny, cuz I was just considering getting another, more comprehensive 300 object compilation chart system. But, it occured to me that I've got a looong way to go before I even find all the stuff in the Messier and Caldwell lists.

tc2, don't get discouraged, though. Looking for them is most of the fun, anyway.

Mike Swaim

#5 Fiske

Fiske

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:58 AM

Mike:

It's a shame you don't have access to a good dark sky site -- it adds a whole new dimension to observing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy urban observing and do quite a bit of it but a trip to a dark sky site enables you to see tons of stuff never visible visually in light polluted skies no matter what equipment you use.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics