•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which dovetail mounting plate should I get?

mount
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Waynerplays

Waynerplays

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:39 PM

Good day, I hope all are doing well during these trying times.

I'm looking to buy an economical dovetail mounting plate to fit my Super Polaris mount. This has likely been answered in past forum posts, but I haven't found it yet.

The scope I have is a Skywatcher Evostar 100ED Pro which came with the green 21cm dovetail. Naturally none of the mounting holes match. Suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

#2 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:41 PM

Drill a hole?

#3 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:52 PM

Or could you remove the dovetail and screw the rings to the mount?

#4 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:01 PM

Losmandy has many different dovetail systems that will fit your situation.  Some of them have MANY holes through which to place mounting screws.

#5 Waynerplays

Waynerplays

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:04 PM

Yes, I guess I could drill and tap a hole since the spacing for the rings would be a couple inches wider than mounting the rings on the mount itself.

thanks Dan

#6 DuPont

DuPont

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fond du Lac, Wi.

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:28 PM

Try measuring from the center mounting screw on one ring to the screw on the other ring. Then go to High Point Scientific & look up William Optics dovetail plates. They have Vixen & Losmandy type. They show a bolt hole diagram for all the plates listed. See if you can take your measurements & find a suitable fit. I haven't looked at other manufactures but they may to have diagrams..........good luck.

#7 Waynerplays

Waynerplays

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for your responses guys.

I'm pretty new at this so I had no idea the prefab mounting plates were so expensive!

I also thought there were some that had clamps to allow back and forth movement of the OTA  for ease of DEC balance when adding a DSLR instead of loosening the rings and sliding the tube, but if they were available, I'd think they'd be even more expensive. On a limited budget here.

So for the extra couple inch spacing between the rings, should I consider drilling a hole on the dovetail or go with the existing spacing by mounting the rings on the mount head?

#8 DuPont

DuPont

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fond du Lac, Wi.

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for your responses guys.

I'm pretty new at this so I had no idea the prefab mounting plates were so expensive!

I also thought there were some that had clamps to allow back and forth movement of the OTA  for ease of DEC balance when adding a DSLR instead of loosening the rings and sliding the tube, but if they were available, I'd think they'd be even more expensive. On a limited budget here.

So for the extra couple inch spacing between the rings, should I consider drilling a hole on the dovetail or go with the existing spacing by mounting the rings on the mount head?

The William Optics do have elongated slots for back & forth movement. Your right about the expense but they are high quality & you have a very nice scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics