•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron CFM and Firmware Update

Celestron mount equipment
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Derry 571

Derry 571

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

I've been trying to download and use Celestron's CFM application to update and install the latest firmware in the Celestron NexStar+ hand controller that came with my Celestron CGX mount.

The CFM application is written in Java. 

My current computer is running a 64bit Windows 10 Pro operating system. I use Google Chrome and sometimes Firefox as browsers. 

I need to download and install Java so I can open and run CFM.

Google Chrome and Firefox no longer support NPAPi (required for Java applets).

I've tried changing security settings, paths, using Internet Explorer, no luck downloading and installing Java. Java says it's installed but it won't open CFM.

I've read a lot of suggestions and watched a lot of videos about how easy it is to download and run CFM but they're all old information and no longer work. Things change!

I need a solution that'll work now, 6 April, 2020. Hope someone has an easy fix. I'd appreciate it.

• 5dave likes this

#2 houndsbourgh

houndsbourgh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hailey, Idaho

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:48 PM

I have had good luck with the jarfix runtime patch on my windows 10 machine. 

• 5dave and Derry 571 like this

#3 Derry 571

Derry 571

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:08 AM

Jarfix seems to have worked!!! Thank you so much. I've been banging my head over this problem for three weeks. WHEW! If I were in a position of authority, I'd see to it that you got a little something extra in your paycheck this week. Unfortunately I'm not in a position of authority.  

• 5dave likes this

#4 greenstars3

greenstars3

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wind River valley

Posted 07 April 2020 - 01:33 AM

Derry 571

Welcome to Cloudy Nights

Glad you asked this question as I will be attempting the update process for my AVX

Houndsbourgh thanks for the answer.

Robert

#5 bella luna

bella luna

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Covina ca

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:45 PM

I've been trying to download and use Celestron's CFM application to update and install the latest firmware in the Celestron NexStar+ hand controller that came with my Celestron CGX mount.

The CFM application is written in Java. 

My current computer is running a 64bit Windows 10 Pro operating system. I use Google Chrome and sometimes Firefox as browsers. 

I need to download and install Java so I can open and run CFM.

Google Chrome and Firefox no longer support NPAPi (required for Java applets).

I've tried changing security settings, paths, using Internet Explorer, no luck downloading and installing Java. Java says it's installed but it won't open CFM.

I've read a lot of suggestions and watched a lot of videos about how easy it is to download and run CFM but they're all old information and no longer work. Things change!

I need a solution that'll work now, 6 April, 2020. Hope someone has an easy fix. I'd appreciate it.

Derry 571   Thank you so much for starting this topic.  Also thank you all who contributed.

I have been trying for months and months to get CFM to work.  Now I finally did it and I'm up to date                       with everything.    Thank you again to all

#6 5dave

5dave

Vostok 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 May 2020 - 04:23 PM

houndsbourgh:

You nailed it. I have been trying to fix this issue for a week now, was about to give up when I read your Jarfix comment. After loading Jarfix CFM opens and works fine.  Thanks to Derry 571 for opening the question and you for your answer.  bow.gif waytogo.gif banjodance.gif bounce.gif

#7 lov2krz

lov2krz

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Morgan Hill Central Northern California Boarder

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the Jarfix patch information.  I've updated my firmware several times using the CFM but for some reason Java Runtime Environment wouldn't recognize the jar file. Installing the patch got CFM to download the files for my StarSense HC/Camera and my CGEM  mount and I started the update.  Now the update is stuck on 2/6 at 4% for the last 15 minutes.  I'll need to contact the all-knowing discussion for updates using CFM and SS.

Here's the  link to the jarfix download  https://johann.loeff...rfix/index.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, mount, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics