•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rosette Nebula: Chroma 5nm Ha: TS Photoline 130 f/7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

It has been partly clear the last two nights here in North Alabama with some scattered clouds and haze that came and went, but I really really wanted to keep working with the new replacement lens on my TS 130 f/7 so I set up the rig in my backyard redzone and got ready. The Moon was nearing full so I figured a narrow band image would be best. I only have one narrow band filter right now. It's a Chroma 5nm Ha. It's like a magic trick! When the first sub popped up I could not believe how much detail was getting pulled out of such a bright sky!

This is a stack of 52 x 5 minute subs using my ASI1600mm pro at unity gain. I pushed the stretching rather hard. Maybe a little too much, as there is some noise. But I really wanted to get all the dark dusty areas to show up.

I was using the TSFLAT3 1.0x flattener that I bought with the scope and I think it is doing a great job on the corner stars. This is the full image cropped just a little to get rid of the stacking artifacts and resized for posting. I am curious if anyone notices some very faint horizontal banding in the bottom left. I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or if there is some there? I would alsolike to know if I perhaps made the dark dust blobs too black. They almost appear a bit artificial to my eye...I did use flats and darks for calibration. C&C are most welcome!

Maybe could have used a little less focal length on this target too...lol!

Thanks for looking and cs!

John

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC2237_Rosette_stackedA.jpg

Edited by John Miele, 06 April 2020 - 08:55 PM.

• psandelle, eros312, 17.5Dob and 8 others like this

#2 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:47 PM

nice image - same scope here been so bad here weather wise hardly done anything with it :(

yes I see that banding ... its fairly faint but looks to be ... did you see anything on the subs or cal frames??

#3 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:47 PM

Looks great for 4 hours!

I do see a bit of banding...  Also, are the small stars trailing a tiny bit?  Tiny bit as in I had to use 2 different pairs of glasses lol

#4 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:53 PM

I don't see much trailing but I'm stumped by the banding. I don't think I have ever had that on any image before. but this is really only my 2nd narrow band image. I'll take a  re-look at the flats and darks...

#5 AstroBrett

AstroBrett

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:04 PM

Nevertheless, it is a really nice image John, particularly this close to full moon.  I'm struggling with getting useable data right now.  Keep up the good work.

Brett

#6 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:11 PM

Very nice John. Glad to see you're in action with the TS130 - finally! As for the (very slight) "banding" - did you look carefully at both surfaces of the filter? Might be something on the surface.

Joe

#7 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:17 PM

very pretty, I like black and white the detail is very different. Thank you and Bavo.

#8 Readerp

Readerp

Explorer 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:29 PM

The detail is incredible! Beauty.

#9 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:35 AM

Very nice John. Glad to see you're in action with the TS130 - finally! As for the (very slight) "banding" - did you look carefully at both surfaces of the filter? Might be something on the surface.

Joe

Hi Joe,

When I installed the filter last month, I did look at both sides to make sure the coatings were clean and I did not notice anything funny. I'm suspecting my flats and plan to look a them more closely sometime today...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics