•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Narrow band processing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 buckjames

buckjames

Explorer 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:10 PM

I live in a light polluted place and I have narrow band filters, ha and 03 which I seldom use, I often use my UHC filters, UHC and UHC-e, so I would like to try narrow band imaging by making use of ha and 0iii, anyone can help me on combining them? can I use DSS to simplify? how do I start? help guys

#2 D_talley

D_talley

Soyuz

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:16 PM

First you need to tell us what type of camera you have, mount and scope.  

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:11 PM

I live in a light polluted place and I have narrow band filters, ha and 03 which I seldom use, I often use my UHC filters, UHC and UHC-e, so I would like to try narrow band imaging by making use of ha and 0iii, anyone can help me on combining them? can I use DSS to simplify? how do I start? help guys

The simplest way is to stack each filter in DSS.  Load the two stacks into your processing program, put the Ha in the red channel, O(III) in the blue.  There are other methods.

I agree with post #2, more information would be helpful.

Edited by bobzeq25, 06 April 2020 - 10:12 PM.

#4 buckjames

buckjames

Explorer 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2020 - 10:44 PM

Thanks guys, I am using a Baader modified Canon 1300 d and an ioptron skyguider pro. I will be using a small refractor by william optics

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:42 AM

Thanks guys, I am using a Baader modified Canon 1300 d and an ioptron skyguider pro. I will be using a small refractor by william optics

With that mount, scope, and camera, you will have some problems doing narrowband.  The optimum subexposures will be 5 minutes or more, and the mount can't do it.   Adding autoguiding will make the problem less, but will not fix it.

You may be better off just using the DSLR without narrowband filters.   If your skies are Bortle7 or better, I think it's likely.  But try narrowband, see how it goes.  Black and white H alpha may work, O(III) is more doubtful.  Just don't beat your head against the wall.  <smile>

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics