•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

UNV ASTRO model?

NV
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 ckhorne

ckhorne

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Roswell, GA

Posted 15 April 2020 - 09:01 AM

Just a followup on this, I got the specs of my "non-ASTRO" tube, and they look pretty good, based on what I've read on the forum:

Resolution: 72
SNR: 33.4
EBI: 1.0
PC Sensitivity: 2,728
Lum gain: 66,891
Halo: 0.8
Blemishes: zone 3 - 8x8 (?)

I wrote these down as he said them over the phone, so I'm not 100% sure about the "8x8" for the blemish, or what that means - only that it's in zone 3. 

I feel like this should be "good enough" and not worth the additional $800 - especially for my first foray into NV. I mostly wanted to pass this along in case anyone else is considering the same thing.

#27 tcc

tcc

Lift Off

• Loc: Albuquerque NM

Posted 15 April 2020 - 10:01 AM

Specs looks good. However, I would find out what the "blemishes" means. Does he mean spots? UNV does not specify the maximum number of spots on their product page. Another vendor (NV Devices) specify no more than 2 spots in zone 3 with size from 0.003-0.006 inch.

You might also want to request that they assemble the device such that the gain knob clears the c mount so you won't run into clearance problem with adapters.

• ckhorne likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics